Waterfowl hunting in Central Canada....

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Waterfowl hunting in Central Canada....

Postby pieps57 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:18 pm

Hello, I am from Wisconsin and me and my friends are starting to plan a waterfowl trip to Ontario,Manitoba or Saskatchewan in Sept or Oct. We are looking at hunting geese and puddle ducks.

We are do it yourselfers so we would go up for a week and camp out and take our duck boat and lay out blinds.No guides no resort etc.

So I was wondering...

What Territory would be the best?
What are non resident license costs?
Can you just go hunt on any lake in the territories or are their special regulations?
What time do the birds start to move down?

If you want you can email me at hfdtraining@yahoo.com

Thank you in advance for any helpful info!!
pieps57
hunter

Re: Waterfowl hunting in Central Canada....

Postby sabb66ca » Wed May 06, 2009 7:05 am

Try the Ontario ministry of natural resourses website for info on seasons and licence costs,,Ontario is big and there are so many places hunt but I hear the Long Point area of Lake Erie is very good,,,I myself hunt the eastern end of Lake Ontario and it can be hit and miss at times,,,have hunted 12 hours north on the Kapuskasing River when the and where the ducks make their first stop on the way south from the James Bay area,,we traveled about 20 miles on the river to where D.U has planted wild rice ,,,I think we ended up with over 40 ducks of many species but I always thought this would be an exellent place to camp out and hunt for ducks and there was great walleye fishing to.
If you want to know more try to get in touch with Peter Martin in Kapuskasing Ontario and I,m sure he would help with any questions you my have.
I seen him on Mojo outdoors guideing them on a wolf hunt but he knows where to find the ducks and geese on that river
I'm sorry I can't be more help but if you need any more info just ask and I will try to help in any way possible,,,,Chuck Cooper
sabb66ca
hunter

Postby The Canuck Kid » Wed May 06, 2009 10:24 am

Migratory Game Bird Hunting Permits are available for purchase by 1 August of each year at Canada Post sales counters and retail outlets. The current price is $8.50 for the Hunting Permit plus $8.50 for the Habitat Stamp. The Habitat Stamp must be affixed to the Hunting Permit in order to make the Permit valid.
The Migratory Birds Hunting Regulations brochure - which provides summary details on season dates, bag and possession limits, as well as other notes of importance - is available at no charge from the same Canada Post outlets.
Hunters are advised that additional information about Wildlife Regulations including general prohibitions, offenses, penalties, use of bait and other restrictions on hunting may be obtained by contacting Wildlife Enforcement at: 905-336-6410.

Hey sabb what part of Ontario are you from?
Good things grow in ONTARIO
The Canuck Kid
hunter

Postby pieps57 » Wed May 06, 2009 11:23 am

Are those non resident prices?
pieps57
hunter

Postby The Canuck Kid » Wed May 06, 2009 12:50 pm

Opps sorry I didnt mention this before.........To hunt migratory game birds in Ontario, you require the following:

A Federal Migratory Game Bird Hunting Permit ($8.50) and a Wildlife Habitat Conservation Stamp ($8.50). Essentially they are one document and are only available from Canada Post offices and postal outlets (total cost of $17). Once purchased, the permit and stamp are valid anywhere in Canada, however each province stipulates the daily harvest and possession limits of waterfowl species. For Ontario, the daily harvest and possession limits for migratory game birds can be found here.
A non-resident Ontario hunting license. Ontario hunting licenses are regulated by the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR), not Environment Canada. Licenses can be purchased from select retail stores such as Canadian Tire and Wal-Mart in Ontario as well as some large outdoor stores and hunting outfitters for a cost of $87.50. Note that licenses cannot be purchased over the Internet.
Important: To purchase a non-resident Ontario hunting license, non-resident applicants must provide documentation indicating he/she would be authorized to purchase a hunting license in their home jurisdiction. A current hunting license for your jurisdiction is an example of a suitable documentation. For more information, call the OMNR toll-free at 1-800-667-1940
Good things grow in ONTARIO
The Canuck Kid
hunter

Postby pieps57 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:30 pm

Thank you so much for all the info. I was also wondeirng, id there alot of campgrounds in the area? ones with electrical hook ups?

thanks again
pieps57
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Thu May 07, 2009 12:06 am

Check out my recent post for Sask license prices and guide
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby pieps57 » Fri May 08, 2009 9:12 am

This may be a dumb question, but can you hunt on any of the lakes in Canada with a boat or is there regulations on what lakes you can hunt?

Also we are looking at going towards the Prince Albert, Saskatchewan area. If we do our scouting and ask for permission to get on fields are farmers nice about letting hunters on? or do the guide services and other hunters have most of the land locked up already?
pieps57
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sat May 09, 2009 12:37 am

Prince Albert is at the edge of the Boreal forest and the population is sparse once you leave the city
Some of the land is owned/managed by the First Nations..you need permission from the Band Council
Any Farmers there are quite co-operative if you ask around..Everyone is interrelated there to some extent..a close knit community.
Lots of small fields with bush edges and many large ponds lakes for roost or intermediate roost.
It is important for you to know which crops are put in and when harvest iime is..as the migration time is about two weeks earlier than central Sask...wich could mean lots of mosquitoes and black flies in Sept.
Guides there are really busy as that area attracts the richer clientelle who want to gun non spooked pressured birds..impressive body counts.
Most lakes are Crown property but access may be private
However there are some experienced Guides who have access to prime land or relatives.
These fields will be the first early fields the birds will hit from the north and will be the first ones to see/feel hot steel shot.
The info is compiled from heresay from friends/hunters/farmers and the odd visit from earlier years.
You should get a municipal map and try to Google the terrain.

I am sure there are locals there that can give you some more up to date details
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby pieps57 » Sat May 09, 2009 5:43 am

Thank you very much for the detailed info!!!
We are still int he process of planning the trip and I just dont wana travel 1000 miles with our boat and all our gear to find out we cant hunt on any lakes or find any land.

Do you think it be better for us to hit central saskatchewan? As far as a time window and more area to hunt?
If just heard that saskatchewans the place to be cuz its int he middle of the central flyway....perhaps we should look elsewhere in canada?

Once again thank you so much for all you helpful info.
pieps57
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sun May 10, 2009 12:38 am

Seriously if you want real action and a bigger percentage of chances the I would recommend East Central Sask in the first week of OCT.
You will be rubbing shoulders with real pros, farmers and new hunters with success see all species of birds..but it is not recommended to need a boat because field shooting gets results.. if you have a reliable dog by all means bring Fido. The people that go there have a professional respect for each other and the farmers treat you well with their friendly hospitality...also the towns want yiur business and have hunters specials
The most birds equals more opps over the same area..you gotta be where the birds wanna be.
If you are the boating type then maybe Le Pas Manitoba and the wild rice lakes might work fo you.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby pieps57 » Sun May 10, 2009 3:45 pm

We are more of over water hunters. but we also have lay out blinds and would like to do a mixed hunt I guess. Its just a hard deciscion cuz I m in charge of the trip and I ve been to canada many times up to the great Lake St Joseph to fish but never to hunt.

I do GREATLY appreciate all you info and help. I was looking at the pas area it looks like a lot of lakes and i see everyone beat up ont he birds in the fields im sure they gotta rost somewhere!
pieps57
hunter

Postby manitobawoj » Mon May 18, 2009 9:53 am

Just be carefull when water hunting. Most guys frown on it as these are roosting areas and water pressure will make the birds leave they area entirely. Field hunting and small potholes with a pair of hip or chest waders is all you need. If you are a diver hunter then big water is where you go, just remember if it is an important goose roost, you can expect local hunters to be displeased with you. A little bit of common sence and a possitive attitude will go a long way. There is no friendlier place than on the praries!
manitobawoj
hunter

Postby pieps57 » Tue May 19, 2009 8:40 pm

so instead of the big 16 foot flat bottom we should just take some small skiffs and hit the pot holes cuz if we hunt the lakes we ll make everyone mad?
pieps57
hunter

Postby manitobawoj » Wed May 20, 2009 8:03 am

It depends where you are at. Here where I am, some of the big lakes roost snow geese and lesser canadas. There have been a few hunters hit up the big water and cause 30-40 thousand geese to migrate early. To say the least they weren't even fans by the conservation officers. It is legal, just use your brain, locals remember stuff like that. If you are more in the bush country or ag fringe, there are plenty of lakes that don't roost geese.
Help me out here and tell me exactly what you want to experience, ie. duck species and prefered style of hunting. I will steer you in the right direction. :thumbsup:
www.manitobasnows.com
Last edited by manitobawoj on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manitobawoj
hunter

Postby pieps57 » Sat May 23, 2009 6:00 am

We are looking for:
Some where in the Manitoba,Saskatchewan or Ontario region

We would prefer to hunt for geese and "puddle" ducks over water but not on huge lakes, we are from Wisconsin and mainly hunt the lakes and rivers around here so thats what we are set up for. We have a 16 foot flat bottom boat with a permanent blind and plenty of water and land candaian geese,woody,teel and mallard decoys. We also have 2 skiffs. We also dont wana make the long journey and have to compete with a lot of hunters for a lake/river spot or a field spot.

We will bring our layout blinds along also.

We are looking at making it a very low cost trip. My friend has a diesel truck he converted to run on vegetable oil so we wont be paying for fuel. We will also be looking to stay at a campground during our trip.

Thanks.
pieps57
hunter

Postby manitobawoj » Wed May 27, 2009 9:28 am

pieps57, pm sent!
manitobawoj
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting