mixed bag of ducks

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: northzoneguy, nitrousneil, badbowtie

mixed bag of ducks

Postby shootemintheface04 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:41 pm

Had a great morning on the water in northern Indiana on the st. joe river. shot 9 birds for 3 guys. 4 mallards, 2 woodys, 2 blue wing teal, and one hen rudy duck. we had a group of mallards flying right over us we shot knocked one down almost hit me and my partner in the head it was so close we went to get it and it was no where to be found we searched for at least 45 min and could not find it i have never seen anything like it. we saw allot of mallards early and once it got light we only saw singles or pairs flying by. all in all it was a good morning hope everybody else did well also.
Waterfowling better known as "the relentless pursuit of self abuse" It gets in your system and is impossible to shake.
shootemintheface04
hunter

Re: mixed bag of ducks

Postby bassbuster » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:50 pm

Went out this morning to the slough and shot two woodies, a greenwing, and a ringneck. Saw quite a few birds but they have been shot at a lot already. Did see two bald eagles messing with the coots. That was awesome.
bassbuster
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:49 pm

Hunted yesterday in the monsoon. Had a teal land in between me and the dekes right at shooting time, it was only 10 ft away. It whistled at me and i jumped it, when it got up I couldn't see it against the brush and missed, it was so dark yesterday. Then 3 mallards came in to about 30 yards and I couldn't tell drakes from hens until they were past me and landed. I, was going to jump them and shoot 'em but 5 more came in and I didn't want to screw them up and I still couldn't see good enough to pick out the drakes and ended up not shooting at any of them. It was too damn dark. Oh well, had a ball anyway. They worked me great and ended up on the other end of the pond so I'll shoot 'em later.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:01 pm

Went out to the farm and 2 of us shot 2 Mallards 1 Bluewing and 3 Greenwings.
"I Didn't Come This Far To Miss!"
ddragon47
hunter

Postby shootemintheface04 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:20 pm

Any of you ever shoot a rudy duck? I have never even seen one until today i'm pretty sure they are some what rare. There was about 2 dozen of them flying around near where we were hunting maybe we will get a shot at them tommarow.
Waterfowling better known as "the relentless pursuit of self abuse" It gets in your system and is impossible to shake.
shootemintheface04
hunter

Postby MerkEm » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:52 pm

We shot 2 at the slough last year.. Pretty neat little duck..
MerkEm
hunter

Postby ispfowler » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:54 pm

shootemintheface04 wrote:Any of you ever shoot a rudy duck? I have never even seen one until today i'm pretty sure they are some what rare. There was about 2 dozen of them flying around near where we were hunting maybe we will get a shot at them tommarow.

We shot 6 of them back in 2002 on a lake in NE Indiana. We saw some last year on a different lake, but they never came close enough for a shot. Diver's aren't in huge population over where we are, but several different species frequent the lakes during their migration. I love hunting them.
ispfowler
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:18 pm

Shot 4 from a scull boat about 2000 or there abouts on a NW Indiana lake late in the season. They are cool little ducks. Very easy to get close to in a scull boat.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:43 pm

We shoot a lot of them around here, not too rare for my area so they cant be for yours. Papachessie- green or brown, they both hit the water and eat the same. :grooving:
HGC Prostaff
KyFowl20
hunter

Postby shootemintheface04 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:36 pm

papachessie my father hunted out of a scull boat back in the 70's on the great mississippi river and said there is no better way to shoot ducks, and the most fun too. you dont here to many people doing it anymore i would love to try but i think they are hard to come by. is yours all wood?
shootemintheface04
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting