Duck Hunting Forum banner

afternoon hunt

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Papachessie 
#1 ·
hunted this afternoon at a brandnew spot it hasnt been hunted in over 5 years it is west of south bend not going to say the exact body of water. It is private land any way it is all muck bottom and very deep along the edges of the reeds, it is all marsh land and the pond is about 15 acres i'm guessing. Got all set up had to use a boat to put the decoys out only put 9 mallards deeks out and a mojo. about 30 min before the end of shooting time i had a dozen or so mallards land on the other side of the pond. about 5 min later 3 woodies decoyed perfectly right into me i knocked 2 down after those 3 shots ducks were flying everywhere they were sitting in the reeds all around the pond i shot at a few mallards did not connect i went out in the boat after the woodies and could not find them they fell out only about 30 yards from my blind they were nowhere to be found i am guessing they dove down and drowned. I was so pissed off i have only had this happen a few times but when i shot them they fell out of the sky cold dead. saw lots of mallards and woodies which was allot of fun but it was no fun loosing those ducks.

#2 ·
I think I know where you were. Hope you had permission. If it's where I think it was, you didn't. Just a guess, not an accusation.
No offense dude, guess I shouldn't jump to conclusions. It's just that I think I know just about every duck pond in that area and know pretty much whether you can get in or not. If you have access to one of the ponds I'm thinking of, you should probably build a blind or two. Especially if your the only one with permission. That area is just starting to get a push of birds. If you hunt that area much, we'll be running into each other soon. Been hunting that area 25 years, probably before you were born. Welcome to the neighborhood. :welcome:

#5 ·
Yes, I live here. I figured Mud Lk., Deer Lk., or Clear Lk. I saw someone hunting Mud Lk., parked on the S.E. corner last Friday morning. I know they didn't have permission, unless it was someone that works at the golf course that they let through. If my memory serves me right, it may have been you that said you work at a golf course in one of your other posts. If that's the case and you can hunt there, congratulations, that's one of the best duck ponds in the county if you play your cards right. Come to think of it, I was driving by there on my way to do some scouting yesterday and saw some mallards flying around in the early afternoon when they should have been resting. :huh: PM me if you want to talk more about it, I'll send you my #.

#7 ·
papacheesie i do work on a golf course but it is not south bend country club it is blackthorn golf course. and i am not hunting any of those lakes i dont think the one i am hunting even has a name. i did see some mallards last night flying around at about 4:00 pm it did seem a little early to me also. Hey badbowtie did your woodies just dive right down after you shot them because thats what mine did i couldnt beileve my eyes they just dissapeared, usuaully they float around so you can shoot them agian.

#9 ·
Elbel is the one I thought. There are 3 or 4 lakes near it that are next to impossible to get on. I've been trying for years. Every once in a while someone parks on the road and just goes, but they don't have permission and I don't have the ba11s to do that anymore. I didn't care when I was a kid. Now I know better. Sounds like you need to hunt your spot in the morning. I bet you'd do better. Those woodies sneak off with their heads down really fast. I jump shoot some ditches and if you don't kill 'em it's hard to keep up with them. And they will dive and not come up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.