IN Drawings: A better way

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: northzoneguy, nitrousneil, badbowtie

IN Drawings: A better way

Postby M2000shooter » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:26 am

Since Indiana has so little in the way of public hunting places, we all know we must draw in order to get to hunt. Over the last few years, they have increased the number of days that are reserved for pre-season drawings. I've been putting in for the last 5 years and have blanked out all 5. My dad blanked out 4 out of 5. I have been putting in for the pheasant draws for 17 years now. I've never been chosen.

Other states (NE, SD) also do some lottery draws. However, when you blank out, you get preference points for the following year. Blank out again, you get more. Eventually you are almost guaranteed to picked. Why doesn't IN do this? Seriously guys, 17 years without being chosen?

Oh, and if pheasant hunting is so popular that we don't have enough places for the hunts, wouldn't you think the DNR would make it a higher priority to acquire leases or ownership of more pheasant properties? Okay, off my soap box.
M2000shooter
hunter

Re: IN Drawings: A better way

Postby CubsFan1 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:14 pm

I think the current system works as good as it possibly can. Each year everyone has an equal chance.
CubsFan1
hunter

Postby MerkEm » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:13 pm

It doesnt bother me any! I just wish they wouldnt have so many reservations for duck hunting.. Get your butt up and draw, If you blank out have a back up plan! Just went on my reserved pheasant hunt yesterday, 2 years in a row being picked for it. :biggrin: 17 years that sucks, good luck next year!
MerkEm
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:16 pm

My luck on the pre draws has not been to good the last 3 years.
But I agree get your butt up and draw.
"I Didn't Come This Far To Miss!"
ddragon47
hunter

Postby M2000shooter » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:05 pm

lol Boys, I've done the daily draws. Years of them. I'll show up if I get chosen in a pre-season, but I'm not wasting the gas for a 1 in 4 chance on a daily draw anymore. I've found a few other places to hunt besides the public lands. I don't see a ton of ducks, but they're not educated and glued to the refuge either.

If most Indiana duck hunters are happy with it, then I guess it's not an issue.
M2000shooter
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:58 pm

Not happy with it and I hate that people get a pre-draw and don't show up for it. :mad:
I wish I had more place to hunt but the farms around here are turning into new homes and I lost 3 farms in 3 years. :sad:
So daily draws with a few back-ups spots for me until I win the lottery. :yes:
ddragon47
hunter

Postby bassbuster » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:29 pm

ddragon47 wrote:Not happy with it and I hate that people get a pre-draw and don't show up for it. :mad:
I wish I had more place to hunt but the farms around here are turning into new homes and I lost 3 farms in 3 years. :sad:

I've got the same problem sub divisions popping up and taking my fields. I too am waiting on the lottery!
bassbuster
hunter

Postby fhhunter1 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:43 pm

bassbuster wrote:
ddragon47 wrote:Not happy with it and I hate that people get a pre-draw and don't show up for it. :mad:

I've got the same problem sub divisions popping up and taking my fields. I too am waiting on the lottery!

Double-edged sword boys. Neighborhoods eat up fields but they also bring with it retention ponds and retention ponds breed more and more geese every year. Same thing has happened in my neck of the woods but so far I can't complain
fhhunter1
hunter

Postby bassbuster » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:38 am

fhhunter1 wrote:
bassbuster wrote:

Double-edged sword boys. Neighborhoods eat up fields but they also bring with it retention ponds and retention ponds breed more and more geese every year. Same thing has happened in my neck of the woods but so far I can't complain

More birds is awesome but I no longer have spots around all the retention ponds so I am forced to hunt more public ground with not as many back ups.
bassbuster
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:56 pm

With the law that you can't shoot anymore around houses. :sad:
ddragon47
hunter

Postby M2000shooter » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:10 am

by ddragon47 ยป Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:58 pm

Not happy with it and I hate that people get a pre-draw and don't show up for it.
I wish I had more place to hunt but the farms around here are turning into new homes and I lost 3 farms in 3 years.
So daily draws with a few back-ups spots for me until I win the lottery. Cuz Hunting Ain't Catch And Release.

I think what happens is that guys from far away put in for the draw because it sounds good in September. Then when the season rolls around, they're too busy or they feel that it's too far to drive if they hear the hunting has been slow. I'll admit when I lived in Indy I didn't show up for one at the slough, but it was 18th pick and they were pretty froze up.
M2000shooter
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:46 pm

Thats hunting for you I had 1st pick today at the Slough and only shot 2 Mallards.
The lake only shot 8 birds in all.
But one thing I do know is that you can't make everyone happy. :yes:
ddragon47
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:56 pm

ddragon47 wrote:With the law that you can't shoot anymore around houses. :sad:

There's no law in Indiana that I'm aware of that says you can't shoot around houses. As long as you have permission and your shooting in a safe direction. :huh:
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby bassbuster » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:05 pm

Papachessie wrote:
ddragon47 wrote:With the law that you can't shoot anymore around houses. :sad:

There's no law in Indiana that I'm aware of that says you can't shoot around houses. As long as you have permission and your shooting in a safe direction. :huh:

I was thinking the same thing, I hunt around a lot of houses and have been checked by Mr. Green jeans and never had a problem.
bassbuster
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:46 am

What was the new law about shooting that came out ?
I'm not abale to shoot in my yard any more and I was told becuse the house across the road.
After talking with my wife it may be a Lake Co. law.
ddragon47
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Don't have a copy of it in front of me but it is a Lake County law . It only deals with "target practice and instruction", hunting is left to state law and each town/city . Go to the Court House and get a copy for your self .
It doesn't ban any shooting,just sets limits on how close to property lines and buildings you can be . More common sense than anything else . The "It's legal and you can't stop me" guys will learn one of these days that if they push it hard enough it won't remain legal for long.
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:28 pm

Thanks Old man.
It's getting time to move i'm starting to feild like i live in the city again.
looks like it to with them new house out my front window. :sad:
ddragon47
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:06 pm

You do live in the City, they just haven't built any houses on the empty lots yet.

I hunted where your backyard is when I was a kid. :eek:
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:52 pm

Oldman1949 wrote:You do live in the City, they just haven't built any houses on the empty lots yet.

I hunted where your backyard is when I was a kid. :eek:

A guy working on the street in front of my house last week told me I'm in the city now. :eek:
ddragon47
hunter

Postby northzoneguy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:16 am

Well i guess im fortunate to only live a about 4 minutes away from kank, but when they only kill 20 birds in a day with the amount of flooded corn they have, there can only be a couple factors. Either the people that are hunting have absolutely no idea what they are doing and have no reason being there(which we get alot of, you know the guys in escalades and big new F-350's with sponsor stickers falling off because they bought them the night before and put them on in the cold, and walk in with gander mountain tags hanging off of a new $350 dollar 3in1 coat), or the hunting is that bad. I have been out there many nights watching and its for sure just slow hunting. Good luck guys oh yeah look on the bright side for all you guys that travel like a couple hours you always have your Java waves. :beer:
northzoneguy
State Moderator

Postby ddragon47 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:56 pm

northzoneguy wrote:Well i guess im fortunate to only live a about 4 minutes away from kank, but when they only kill 20 birds in a day with the amount of flooded corn they have, there can only be a couple factors. Either the people that are hunting have absolutely no idea what they are doing and have no reason being there(which we get alot of, you know the guys in escalades and big new F-350's with sponsor stickers falling off because they bought them the night before and put them on in the cold, and walk in with gander mountain tags hanging off of a new $350 dollar 3in1 coat), or the hunting is that bad. I have been out there many nights watching and its for sure just slow hunting. Good luck guys oh yeah look on the bright side for all you guys that travel like a couple hours you always have your Java waves. :beer:

A)People that are hunting have absolutely no idea what they are doing and have no reason being there which we get alot of.
OR
B)The hunting is that bad.

:huh: A)
ddragon47
hunter

Postby northzoneguy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:12 pm

All im saying is there are many times when the numbers of dead waterfowl per day do not reflect the potential for the property. I cant count the number of times i have saw people get into the best blind on the property and completely no reason for being there. Some people just aren't meant for the sport. Im not calling anyone out if thats what you are thinking. :huh:
northzoneguy
State Moderator

Postby honkertalk » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:33 pm

I agree 100% with what northzoneguy is saying. When you shoot at birds that are so high, they dont even flare, you have no business being out in a blind. I would rather sit in my blind all day, no kill a thing than shoot at birds that there isnt a snowball chance in hell of hitting. I mean, look at the guys that wear their lanyards into the draw for instance, why do this, I mean it does give me a reason to laugh in the morning, but thats about it, hell you might as well bring your gun and decoys in as well. You may think your a bad@$$ because you got bands off of ebay, but you forget to look at the word deushebag across your forehead. All Im saying is that leave your calls in the truck, where they belong, because last time its a lottery draw, no a hunting spot.....:thumbsup:
honkertalk
hunter

Postby bassbuster » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:37 pm

honkertalk wrote:I agree 100% with what northzoneguy is saying. When you shoot at birds that are so high, they dont even flare, you have no business being out in a blind. I would rather sit in my blind all day, no kill a thing than shoot at birds that there isnt a snowball chance in hell of hitting. I mean, look at the guys that wear their lanyards into the draw for instance, why do this, I mean it does give me a reason to laugh in the morning, but thats about it, hell you might as well bring your gun and decoys in as well. You may think your a bad@$$ because you got bands off of ebay, but you forget to look at the word deushebag across your forehead. All Im saying is that leave your calls in the truck, where they belong, because last time its a lottery draw, no a hunting spot.....:thumbsup:

Even better than the calls around there neck is when you get the guys that wear the waders in for the draw. Always gives me a good laugh!
bassbuster
hunter

Postby badbowtie » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:00 pm

bassbuster wrote:
honkertalk wrote:I agree 100% with what northzoneguy is saying. When you shoot at birds that are so high, they dont even flare, you have no business being out in a blind. I would rather sit in my blind all day, no kill a thing than shoot at birds that there isnt a snowball chance in hell of hitting. I mean, look at the guys that wear their lanyards into the draw for instance, why do this, I mean it does give me a reason to laugh in the morning, but thats about it, hell you might as well bring your gun and decoys in as well. You may think your a bad@$$ because you got bands off of ebay, but you forget to look at the word deushebag across your forehead. All Im saying is that leave your calls in the truck, where they belong, because last time its a lottery draw, no a hunting spot.....:thumbsup:

Even better than the calls around there neck is when you get the guys that wear the waders in for the draw. Always gives me a good laugh!

Heck down here it is best to wear your waders into the draw. By the time you pick your spot you gotta get going. People put their boats in before the draw starts and dont even know if they even get to go yet. Personally we only draw a few times a year, just try to avoid all the idiots than we can.
badbowtie
State Moderator

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting