Hunting near Indianapolis?

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: northzoneguy, nitrousneil, badbowtie

Hunting near Indianapolis?

Postby indyhunter » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:47 pm

Today a friend and I were at River Road Park near hazel dell road in Carmel. The park features the white river and has great fishing. While we walked along the river we saw two men in a boat wearing waders and had waterfowl camoflauge and everything even a decoy bag. I was wondering where they could have been hunting. Does anyone hunt there? If so is it good? Please comment.
indyhunter
hunter

Re: Hunting near Indianapolis?

Postby fowlaholic » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:08 pm

Hunting can be decent there alot of local birds.....But have seen redheads and pintails on that stretch before......If they were hunting they were a few days early season is not in yet.
gettin out is all the fun if you bag a bird thats a bonus
fowlaholic
hunter

Postby indyhunter » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:00 pm

Really?!?!? I am just surprised that I can hunt In carmel! I do not have a boat but is it possible that I could walk to a location and set up some decoys? Also which areas are best in that area because I do know that there are some neighborhoods are nearby would I have to worry about that? Would I have to get any sort of permission from anyone is it all public? And last qeustion are there a lot of people hunting it?
indyhunter
hunter

Postby boilers22 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:15 am

Yeah, hopefully they were just scouting. I hunt there sometimes and it seems like it's pretty hit or miss, and they're are a decent amount of people that hunt there. I called a conservation officer for the area last year and talked to them briefly about areas you can / can not hunt, biggest advice is just be smart about it and use common sense, because I have seen people set up in areas where it is probably legal, but a little inconsiderate in my opinion.
Justin
boilers22
hunter

Postby fhhunter1 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:03 pm

Too many hunters for too few birds there in my opinion. Really would not consider it without a boat though. You really can't get to the good spots on foot and you will lose alot of downed ducks trying to catch up with the stream when it's moving quick. Hate to rain on your parade.
fhhunter1
hunter

Postby h20fowl2 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:02 am

Do people not read the regs... The season is not in until the 25th. Indyhunter PM me if you are interested in Hunting local as I have a boat and once it gets cold the regulars I hunt with for some reason do not answer their phones!!
h20fowl2
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting