Madison/Ohio River area

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: badbowtie, northzoneguy, nitrousneil

Madison/Ohio River area

Postby jprice » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:54 am

Going to be moving to the Madison area in a few weeks. Will give.me new opportunity. On the Ohio River if its worth it. Anybody have any experience here or any tips?
jprice
hunter

Re: Madison/Ohio River area

Postby Papachessie » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:35 am

I muzzleloader hunted along the Ohio a couple of years in a row and the land owners did a lot of duck hunting. They hunted back waters and where smaller rivers and creeks came in. It's really big water and has lots of big barges making big wakes, be careful. Also there is something about the license between Indiana and Kentucky or Ohio. I can't remember what it is, but I would look into it if I were going to hunt the Ohio. Good luck. :thumbsup:
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby jprice » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:40 pm

Went down to the new house today as the wife needed to clean (even a perfectly clean house is not clean enough until she goes through it herself haha) - saw a large amount of geese. I am guessing they are all local birds still. Will have to meet and greet some of my neighbors and get permission to hunt their fields. Ohio River less than a mile from our new house. As we came home to Columbus checked out a local pit that holds a lot of birds. Saw Ringnecks, Hoodies, and Mallards. Tells me birds aren't moving south yet. These are all the birds we normally see early in the season. Once the Cans, Buffleheads, and other divers arrive I will know the birds have arrived. There were a LOT of birds in Michigan City, just off Lake Michigan over Turkey Day. Need some cold weather to bring those birds down! Forcast shows possible snow showers this week sounds like it may be on here soon. JPrice
jprice
hunter

Postby Noah » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:30 am

If you are licensed in either IN or KY you can hunt the main channel of the Ohio River. If you want to hunt the creeks or bays off the main channel you have to be licensed in the state the creek or bay is in. Many people get both licenses, as it extends the season in the ORZ (Ohio River Zone) with differing start & end dates, as well as mid season closings and it allows you to go where the ducks are.
The McAlpine Pool generally held at a lower stage during duck season, exposing a lot of bank making it harder to hide. Small fluctuations in water levels change it's character dramatically. Hunting the river is best when it gets cold enough to freeze farm ponds, but not so cold to push birds farther south, or if when mild flooding occurs...& you have permission to access these areas.
Madison is within range of the Markland Pool upriver as well.
Hope this helps
Rick W Jackson D.V.M.
Gunpowder Creek Retrievers
Dakota Decoy Field Staff
Noah
hunter

Postby jprice » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:55 am

Great information thank you. I didn't know about the license thing. Looking forward to hopefully finding some divers on the river here soon. I have already seen several fields along the river holding geese. May have to get a bigger boat as my 10' will probably get me killed!
jprice
hunter

Postby bassbuster » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:20 pm

jprice wrote:Great information thank you. I didn't know about the license thing. Looking forward to hopefully finding some divers on the river here soon. I have already seen several fields along the river holding geese. May have to get a bigger boat as my 10' will probably get me killed!

Yea I think a 10' boat might be a little bit small for the ohio river!
bassbuster
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting