huge migration today

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: badbowtie, northzoneguy, nitrousneil

huge migration today

Postby phil » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:06 pm

Walked outside around 10am and heard snows headed south. The migration passed right over my house for at least three hours. I have witnessed this a few times over the last several years but never on this scale...thousands and thousands! It was very cool to watch. This must be a pass over area only, because I have never seen them land anywhere around here.
phil
hunter

Re: huge migration today

Postby miken » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:10 am

where are you located? I'm in South Bend and haven't seen much yet.
miken
hunter

Postby phil » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:16 am

Hello Miken, I live in Frankfort... about 50 miles north of Indy.
phil
hunter

Postby jprice » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:51 pm

Glad to hear we may start getting some birds down here. So far have not seen any migrators in the southern part of the state. Was hoping the cold weather this week would bring some birds down. Didn't even bother to hunt today. Sun and no birds make for lousy duck hunting. Keep us posted on what you see! Thanks
jprice
hunter

Postby jprice » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:56 pm

Was born in Frankfort. Wife and I both still have family there. Live in Southern IN now. Not much water around there. Where do you do most of your hunting?
jprice
hunter

Postby phil » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:42 pm

Jprice... This is certainly "No Waterfowl USA"! If you live in this area and duck hunt you gotta be ok with doing a lot of traveling. I hunt the WMA's in the North West part of the state and I also have a real nice little river in Illinois that is usually good after the late season freeze. I usually hunt a time or two each year on the Wabash but it is very hit or miss and usually more miss than hit. I wish I could find a spot closer to home ... but ... I do what i have to do!
phil
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:28 pm

No ducks at Waterfowl USA or anywere elsa around the NW. :sad:
"I Didn't Come This Far To Miss!"
ddragon47
hunter

Postby jprice » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:01 pm

Lived up in monticello for several years you can make it there in under an hour there are birds there but also a lot of people to deal with.. Wabash can be good as you know.. Mississessissiwna (haha) I'm sure has some birds but never hunted there.
jprice
hunter

Postby phil » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:10 pm

JPrice...ever up this way give me a shout and we will try to check out a spot or two.
phil
hunter

Postby bottomlands » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:50 pm

hunted today just south of terre haute in flooded field. seen 1 drake mallard and killed it. nothing else , no geese i mean none . really stinks here right now. worst season ever so far. no ducks in the area. looked everywhere. suppose to be 20 degrees tonight though. hope to keep north wind. gotta get some ducks soon.
bottomlands
Newb

Postby fhhunter1 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:21 pm

bottomlands wrote:hunted today just south of terre haute in flooded field. seen 1 drake mallard and killed it. nothing else , no geese i mean none . really stinks here right now. worst season ever so far. no ducks in the area. looked everywhere. suppose to be 20 degrees tonight though. hope to keep north wind. gotta get some ducks soon.

worst season ever? It just started
fhhunter1
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting