Let it begin...

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: northzoneguy, nitrousneil, badbowtie

Let it begin...

Postby jprice » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:42 pm

Can you feel it? Getting those chills just thinking about it? I came home after work tonight and watched the weather.. That's when it started. Cold.. Snow.. Rain.. Can't stand these words any other time of the year. But in a couple of days they will be here. A couple of days they will begin to arrive. And our world will go from calm and quiet to black clouds of total bliss. Or so we hope. And although I have never met any of you out there I know I will not be alone in restless sleep that night before. And those of you lucky enough will, like me, tell work that although you should be there; instead you will be waking up at 4am to go sit in a cold, wet blind that less of men would consider torture. But for us.. We look forward to the most wet, cold, and unforgiving morning possible. Because its on days like this that we find Duck Heaven. That place where few men want to go. But only in conditions like this will you have those unforgettable days where you shoot a hen and drake pintail in one shot.. Or you get your first canvasback. Perhaps its seeing your son drop his first bufflehead. Or find a ruddy duck sitting on a lake in Indiana. These are the days we never forget. These are the days we dream of. And Gentlemen... Get ready. For at the end end of this week we are in: These days will be upon us again. Can you feel it?.. Do you feel them coming?.. They are. Good luck my friends. Shoot straight.

JPrice
jprice
hunter

Re: Let it begin...

Postby Papachessie » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:48 am

Nice post, you should write short stories. Ducks are showing up little by little up here. Unfortunately, only a little over a week left.
Oh well, the last week may turn out to be great. :wink:
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby jprice » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:53 am

Short stories huh?
Hmmmm... Let's see..

There once was a duck named fred
Who flew by my blind then was dead
I skinned him down in my shed
Went inside then I was fed
My wife saw the mess and was red
Then I was kicked out of bed
Now I'm sleeping on the couch of Ed
Just like my wife wife said
I should have listened to my buddy Ted
But I just had to kill ducks instead!!!

Naaaa.. I will stick to building motion decoys in my spare time and not short stories- but thanks! :fingerhead:
jprice
hunter

Postby shootemintheface04 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:45 pm

was out this morning west of south bend near new carlyle foud out the pond that we were going to hunt was froze over couldnt belive it, this is one of the last ponds in the area to freeze over just yesterday it had open water and geese and ducks using it. Today we had one group of ducks try and land on the frozen pond 15 min before legal shooting time they slid about 30 feet and took off. we didnt see another bird after that. This morning i looked at the forecast for today and it was supposed to be cloudy with snow flurries, well they were wrong again blue bird day go figure. This has been one of the worst seasons, Back in october everybody made it sound like this season was going to be a banner year and boy was everybody wrong. most everything is froze up north and they have snow, why dont we have birds. I think they just flew right over south bend and kept going south. I may be bitching a little to much but come on guys who else here has felt the same way i am fealing?
Waterfowling better known as "the relentless pursuit of self abuse" It gets in your system and is impossible to shake.
shootemintheface04
hunter

Postby nitrousneil » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:17 pm

no they didnt fly by, there here look a little harder.
neil gibson
high plains honker #0031
smm/tr hybrid
showtime#153 red/clear
dmm#3571 red/clear
strait meat honker red/clear
nitrousneil
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shootemintheface04 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:52 pm

if you are seeing them then your lucky. I have very good late season spots where they more than not produce good numbers of geese and ducks and lately there is nothing. I am not the only one i have other buddies that hunt very good spots and have not been seeing anything. I have been doing scouting in places that i usually see ducks this time of the year and nothing, hell i havnt even been seeing anything in the city limits where i always see them.
Waterfowling better known as "the relentless pursuit of self abuse" It gets in your system and is impossible to shake.
shootemintheface04
hunter

Postby nitrousneil » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:37 pm

was unloading the steeltruck at work this afternoon and watched probably 3-400 mallards working the corn field...
neil gibson
high plains honker #0031
smm/tr hybrid
showtime#153 red/clear
dmm#3571 red/clear
strait meat honker red/clear
nitrousneil
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Papachessie » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:37 pm

The ducks are showing up daily. I've hunted the same spot 5 days in a row and killed birds all 5. Saw more today by far than yesterday. Expecting to see even more tomorrow. Had about 150 mallards and 1 black land right beside my blind to the right. To hard to shoot that direction. :hammer:
Papachessie
hunter

Postby landinggearDRC » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:58 pm

all my ponds and most of the lakes i hunt are completly froze over to the point there will be no ice breaking... guess im gonna have to rely on my fields because the river is froze up in most spots and not holding very many birds.. still dont think they are here yet .. my buddy up north said there still gettin into them
landinggearDRC
hunter

Postby ispfowler » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:52 pm

Went out scouting today and saw Mallards, Gadwall, Redhead, Canvasback, 1 Beautiful Drake Pintail, Bluebill, Bufflehead, Hooded Mergansers, and a few Ruddys. Its really cool to see migrating birds.
ispfowler
hunter

Postby filletfetish » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:18 am

Sure could use a nice 4" rain.....had a few new birds with the rising rivers, but the ducks are moving with it. Did here someone shoot 4 times yesterday. Real early and heard him blowing a duck call. Looks like things may be setting up perfect for my week off between the holidays!!

I just erased 7 lines of my thoughts on scouting and movement.....if I was sittin in the same room with ya I'd tell ya all about it, but I already know what the internet can do to losing your honey holes :no:
filletfetish
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:45 pm

It's ok you can tell us. :wink:
Going out Sunday just don't know were to go.
Not many birds the last 3 days.
"I Didn't Come This Far To Miss!"
ddragon47
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:41 pm

landinggearDRC wrote:all my ponds and most of the lakes i hunt are completly froze over to the point there will be no ice breaking... guess im gonna have to rely on my fields because the river is froze up in most spots and not holding very many birds.. still dont think they are here yet .. my buddy up north said there still gettin into them

Anywhere the river moves fast is still open. So are the bigger lakes. We shot 7 greenheads on a ditch this morning. Not bad for a bluebird day. Weather's supposed to get crappy tonight, should make for a good hunt tomorrow. :thumbsup:
Papachessie
hunter

Postby landinggearDRC » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:11 pm

we broke ice on a lake and got into a mess of mallards today ... 3+ hrs of breaking ice and 3 hrs sleep im sore and tired and will be taking tomrrow off :crying:
landinggearDRC
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:11 pm

Ice was 2.5 inch think today.
It's time to start huntinng geese in the fields and say good bye to duck hunting till next season.
"I Didn't Come This Far To Miss!"
ddragon47
hunter

Postby landinggearDRC » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:04 pm

Had good luck this evening hunting a field.. Saw around 200 ducks but all the geese were already out feeding. We got setup at 3 and had ducks sworming us til we were all picked up. Today was a waterfowl weather day!! Now its time to focus on the honks and let the BB roll. See you all on the goose hunting chat
landinggearDRC
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting