Seen any ducks yet?

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: northzoneguy, nitrousneil, badbowtie

Seen any ducks yet?

Postby cam liden » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:59 am

I know the cold front will be moving in very soon, so i was wondering if any body up north has seen any big pushes of migrators yet? I am in the south zone and have been waiting for this weather for a very long time.
cam liden
hunter

Re: Seen any ducks yet?

Postby ddragon47 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:17 pm

We are still waiting up here for some birds. :sad:
"I Didn't Come This Far To Miss!"
ddragon47
hunter

Postby landinggearDRC » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:53 pm

no birds here yet!! hopefully they will be arriving with this cold front thru this weekend.. unfortunetly its coming with two weeks left in the season.. :mad:
landinggearDRC
hunter

Postby cam liden » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:26 am

well if the birds ever do come down, you guys up north let us know.
cam liden
hunter

Postby bwloggins » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:02 pm

The season here in laporte county started out great, but the birds died off big time. There's no birds around anymore I cannot wait for a big push to come down
bwloggins
Newb

Postby ddragon47 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:46 pm

With 13 days left to hunt up north we may have to go down south to shoot birds when the push come's down.
ddragon47
hunter

Postby cam liden » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:50 am

Yesterday I started to see a few more mallards, but nothing to get excited about. Anybody know how the migration is going in other states north of us?
cam liden
hunter

Postby fhhunter1 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:41 am

There's still a lot of birds in Minnesota. A buddy's uncle lives up there and said there was still alot of birds holding on the refuge. Guys I've heard from in Illinois and Iowa aren't killing ducks either. I think this week will be a big migrator week if the weather does what it's been predicted to. And my prediction is its just all going to happen at once. One day we won't have birds and the next we will be covered up.
fhhunter1
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:36 am

Been out 15 days in a row and no new birds.
You should see some this weekend becuse I can't go out Saturday or Sunday. :sad:
ddragon47
hunter

Postby phil » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:10 pm

DDragon...sounds like you are expecting your luck to be about like mine!

I saw another big wave of snows come over my house headed south this morning. This is a good sign! ...I think?
phil
hunter

Postby cam liden » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:04 am

Can't wait. saw a lot of mallards south of indy last night that havent been there before
cam liden
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:58 pm

Had 5 Wood ducks fly in to us today but no Mallards.

Hey Phil i have no luck this year. :sad:
ddragon47
hunter

Postby phil » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:30 pm

Hunted a lake in Illinois this morning and saw about 100 ducks. Managed two mallards and one hoodie drake! Still not much of a migration.
phil
hunter

Postby mikebenghp » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:29 am

Ive hunted lake michigan twice and two small lakes near elkhart. On lake michigan every bird I saw was flying northwest, Saw quite a few but none heading south. In elkhart I havent seen much. I saw two 30-45 bird flocks of geese but again they were heading north and the cornfiellds and slow moving branches of the river have had quite a few geese in them. Only ducks I saw appear to be local birds. Worked a group of 8 into my decoys this morning, thats the best ive seen yet this year. Of course I was so excited about a bird finally getting close enough that I shot over their heads. :( I wish these darn glaciers would melt a little faster so winter will start coming when its supposed to again.
mikebenghp
hunter

Postby shootemintheface04 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:54 pm

sorry havnt posted in a while was out last weekend on the st.joe near elkhart saw a good amount of mallards but they were all local birds and very decoy shy. Was out this morning on the elkhart river near goshen shot one drake mallard that worked very well. Had 4 mallards circle us 2 to 3 times and missed should have let them cirle once more probally would have shot them but with the way this season has been pass shooting has become the norm for me. we saw several big flocks of geese i'm guessing any where from 75 to a 125 flying very high most likely migrators, kicked up a couple big groups of mallards on our way back to the ramp but nothing else other than that i would have thought with these cold temps that we would be seeing more ducks.
Waterfowling better known as "the relentless pursuit of self abuse" It gets in your system and is impossible to shake.
shootemintheface04
hunter

Postby filletfetish » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:38 pm

Hunted White River in southern IN......a couple different groups of a doz. or so. Had a couple greenheads drop in and an elusive blackduck landed up river and floated down. He wasn't convinced, and took off. Still real slow, but we're a month early yet compared to most years. Talked to some guys that were 20-30 miles north up river.....they found a few more birds. Right now, every day is a new day. I'll be back waiting on some new visitors in the morning......
filletfetish
hunter

Postby Dave63 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:42 pm

One flock of greenwings overhead after first light. One buffie in the dekes. One formation of 6 divers overhead. One mallard drake in the dekes and one flight two overhead and that's IT...pulled up about 10.
Dave63
hunter

Postby bassbuster » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:26 pm

Seen lots of birds today. Saw many flocks of 50 to 100 birds off and on today. Killed a two man limit in an hour and a half, 8 mallards, 2 blacks, one hooded merganser and a green wing. Hopefully tomorrow has more of the same. I think the ducks have showed up!! :thumbsup:
bassbuster
hunter

Postby shootemintheface04 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:34 pm

where are you located bassbuster
Waterfowling better known as "the relentless pursuit of self abuse" It gets in your system and is impossible to shake.
shootemintheface04
hunter

Postby bassbuster » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:37 pm

shootemintheface04 wrote:where are you located bassbuster

I was hunting in rochester in
bassbuster
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:31 am

Shot 4 Greenheads yesterday by myself by 7:40 and didn't have time to wait for anything else. Went back to the same spot today with a buddy and had quite a few but we shot terribly and only ended up with 3 Greenheads. Must have been some new ducks today because they worked us good this morning in the same exact spot as yesterday. Had 2 flocks land in the dekes before shooting time.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:41 pm

They are come in slowly.
ddragon47
hunter

Postby cam liden » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:27 am

went out yesterday morning and we shot 5 mallards and 2 geese. some of the ducks were migrators, they decoyed really easy, but overall, we didnt see a whole lot, just enough to keep it interesting. Hey filletfetish, what part of the White River were you hunting?
cam liden
hunter

Postby filletfetish » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:36 pm

cam liden wrote:went out yesterday morning and we shot 5 mallards and 2 geese. some of the ducks were migrators, they decoyed really easy, but overall, we didnt see a whole lot, just enough to keep it interesting. Hey filletfetish, what part of the White River were you hunting?

I'm an east fork guy....and most of it. Went back out on sunday, but went to a smaller river. I knew I was in trouble when I didn't see any boats on the "main" ramp. Never heard the first shot....what was here has certainly moved. Talked to a few others, and more of the same. I'm working today, so I'm sure they are loading the rivers up :sad:
filletfetish
hunter

Postby jprice » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:43 pm

Hey Filletfetish I live in Columbus but hunt seymour area sounds like you are in same area? We have thrown everything we can think of at our 3 big marshes this year. The birds just simply are here in large numbers yet. Did notice some redheads and buffleheads at a local refuge yesterday which I hope is a start of better things to come. Going to try something different on wed and hunt a river about 1/2 mile from this Refuge and see if I can get some birds off it. Would sure like to shoot my first Redhead.
jprice
hunter

Next

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting