Wind

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: northzoneguy, nitrousneil, badbowtie

Wind

Postby mikebenghp » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:45 pm

Ive heard many different ideas as to which direction is the best to hunt the wind, to your back, in your face, crosswind, etc. I seem to have more success with crosswinds or when its at my back. I was just curious as to how everyone else views it.
mikebenghp
hunter

Re: Wind

Postby filletfetish » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:42 pm

Most guys are gonna tell ya in order to shoot em in the face, the wind needs to be at your back. I like the crosswind, especially on pressured ducks. If they're coming in straight at your blind there's more that can flare them. I prefer to try and keep their eyes focused on what's natural and not my boat and blind.

If I'm in a layout blind..........wind to the back and wait for the feet to drop! :beer:
filletfetish
hunter

Postby Dave63 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:43 pm

Anyway you can set up in a place where the want to be and not have it in your face! Having said that, I prefer a slight crosswind.
Dave63
hunter

Postby william costa » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:18 pm

ive never hunted with the wind in my face that they have to come over top of u to land that is the worst thing u can do especially if they have to come over land at ur back unless ur in a pit.cross wind is the best scenario.imo
william costa
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:34 pm

filletfetish wrote:Most guys are gonna tell ya in order to shoot em in the face, the wind needs to be at your back. I like the crosswind, especially on pressured ducks. If they're coming in straight at your blind there's more that can flare them. I prefer to try and keep their eyes focused on what's natural and not my boat and blind.

If I'm in a layout blind..........wind to the back and wait for the feet to drop! :beer:

I agree to keep them looking away from me and hunt with a crosswind unless i'm in a layout blind then wind at back and feet down. :wink:
"I Didn't Come This Far To Miss!"
ddragon47
hunter

Postby Overkill67 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:12 pm

I like it at my back and or cross wind. Same reasons as mentioned plus they like to us the wind to slow down or pick up the pace if they flare. However most of this season the ducks have not seemed to care what direction the wind was coming from. We have had them coming in and cupping up with the wind at their backs! Makes for a pita when setting up the spread lol
Overkill67
hunter

Postby horsedoc7341 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:40 am

I agree that shooting in a cross wind is the good but a howling crosswind is the best. Slows the birds down makes for better shooting.
horsedoc7341
Newb

Postby Papachessie » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:20 pm

ddragon47 wrote:
filletfetish wrote:Most guys are gonna tell ya in order to shoot em in the face, the wind needs to be at your back. I like the crosswind, especially on pressured ducks. If they're coming in straight at your blind there's more that can flare them. I prefer to try and keep their eyes focused on what's natural and not my boat and blind.

I agree to keep them looking away from me and hunt with a crosswind unless i'm in a layout blind then wind at back and feet down. :wink:

I like the wind at my back if I'm not in a layout blind. It's easier to swing to the right or left standing up. I like to set up with the wind over my right shoulder in the layout so I'm shooting somewhat to the left. Too hard to shoot to the right sitting down, can't swing. You don't have to worry about them flairing if you keep your face down and don't move when they're in front, and have enough confidence that when they pass over you they'll come back around and not turn your head to see if they are.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting