Duck Hunting Forum banner

South Bend area geese

3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  landinggearDRC 
#1 ·
hey guys drove by Belmont Beverage on Portage, and cleveland by the toll Road today. there are some very big picked corn fields on the south side of toll road. And for the last few days i have been seeing numerous geese there. Today i drove by around 4:30 p.m. and no joke there was 1000 + geese in the field the field was i'm guessing 150 acres or more probally more and it was full with geese it was all black with geese could not hardly tell it was a corn field. I think that is in the city limits which explains why the geese are there but while i was driving by flocks of geese were landing it looked like Ohare airport with the jets staged off in the distance coming into land only with geese here haha. Any way just wanted to let you know it was a site to see.

#2 ·
That's a good place to watch them if you need to see how they work. Been seein' 'em there for years. Why don't you run in there and shoot 'em real quick and get out so they'll go somewhere I can hunt? I think it'll take the cops about 7 minutes to get there, plenty o' time. :yes:

#4 ·
wow landinggear that takes some balls to tell everybody on here that you shot geese with a bow in the city limits. not sure if that is legal or not never heard of that one haha. I went by that same spot today and the geese were there but not in the field they were all in the sky getting ready to land i'm telling you it was insane the amount of birds well over a 1000 in the sky over the fields.

#5 ·
shootemintheface04 said:
wow landinggear that takes some balls to tell everybody on here that you shot geese with a bow in the city limits. not sure if that is legal or not never heard of that one haha. I went by that same spot today and the geese were there but not in the field they were all in the sky getting ready to land i'm telling you it was insane the amount of birds well over a 1000 in the sky over the fields.
Next year they'll be down by the N.D. toll road entrance cuz that'll be corn again. Every year at this time they're in one of those two fields where no one can shoot 'em. They need to make it illegal to plant crops in city limits if they want the goose population reduced. Pieces me off every year.

#8 ·
shootemintheface04 said:
hey never said it wasnt legal i just said it doesnt sound legal. Any way how many arrows did you loose?
I'l guarantee you this. If you lost any and the farmer finds 'em in his tractor tire, he won't be happy. That was one of the first things the farmer told me when I started deer hunting his property. "If you shoot any arrows out into the field, you'd better find them. New tractor tires are Big $". I don't think Grape Rd. area is city limits yet, is it? If it is, it wasn't legal. The only legal hunting in city limits I know of, is the urban deer reduction in certain areas.

#11 ·
landinggearDRC said:
Give the CO a call. I've pretty much asked everything you can think of to him.
I've also had permission to hunt in city limits and called the CO about it. He told me no one would say anything, but he didn't tell me it was legal. If someone really wanted to push it, it's illegal to hunt in city limits. Like I said, I don't know if Douglas Rd. is annexed yet. If it's not, you should've hunted with a gun. You could've gotten yourself on the news. Especially now since channel 22 is right there.

#12 ·
Hey South Bend guys anybody seeing any birds other than the ones that only hang out in the city limits? I have been seeing more and more everyday since it is getting cooler i think they are moving allot more.

#14 ·
yes it was very hard! let them land and the double bull blind does its job :biggrin:

but yes ive been seeing geese a lot more the past few weeks.. we only killed a few this early season.. only made it out twice.. dang work :mad:
Corn is coming out left and right already.. its gonna be tough to watch geese in the corn for a whole month

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.