Where is everyone from??

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: northzoneguy, nitrousneil, badbowtie

Where is everyone from??

Postby Mitch B. » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:26 pm

I'm new to the site and hunt Wabash,Grant and Tri Co. I hunt mainly ducks on private property but also do river and public water hunting.

How is everybody's year going? Mine not so well.
Mitch B.
Newb

Re: Where is everyone from??

Postby chrisk » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:40 pm

Brookville, IN here. Started out the late season OK. Slowed down the last couple weeks. Saw ducks everywhere scouting Thursday when the weather was good (bad really), hunted the next two days and didn't see hardly any. Been waiting for them to come down but starting to wonder if I missed em?
chrisk
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:55 am

I'm up in Lake Co. and duck season is over up here for about 2 weeks now.
Was slower then last year on ducks but still a lot of geese around and we have about 2 weeks left on them.
"I Didn't Come This Far To Miss!"
ddragon47
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:03 pm

Im in Indy, I hunt all over the state but I've been spending alot of time in Terre haute with private access to one of the deepest last freezing pits (still mostly open yesterday) in the entire Vigo/Clay county area. I've seen alot of birds I haven't shot very many though. I got a picked cornfield next to us that seems to consume every bird in the air. Good luck hit me up if your interested in teaming up sometime.
bandchaser
hunter

Postby phil » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:29 am

Frankfort... No waterfowl USA... So, I get to do a lot of driving!
phil
hunter

Postby horsedoc7341 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:31 am

Northwest IN. Not to bad of a year seen better. Always next year.
horsedoc7341
Newb

Postby Dave63 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:43 pm

Farmersburg. South of Terre Haute. This year has been pretty skimpy duck wise. Right now we've got geese, though...
Dave63
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:29 am

Dave63 wrote:Farmersburg. South of Terre Haute. This year has been pretty skimpy duck wise. Right now we've got geese, though...

Hey Dave I'm from Terre Haute originally and hunt there all the time. There seems to be a lot of geese in Terre Haute for sure. You been doing any good? Have you been on the river yet? I'm going to be heading that way this weekend to see if I can't find a few ducks if not I will have to do my best help control the goose population. You don't have a Plat map of Terre Haute do you? Gotta do some work now, but if you got a hot field and need an extra gun let me know. I'll do the same.
bandchaser
hunter

Postby Dave63 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:56 pm

Unfortunately, I've only gotten out a couple of times. Passed up a few shots on some ducks that were a little too far out to be sure about. Shot one goose and didn't drop it last trip. That's been about it, unfortunately. I don't have enough boat to do the river and I don't have any experience running it. I had planned on going yesterday but there's an awful lot of hard water right now and I've only found one un-huntable spot that's holding any real number of birds. There's not much at Merom either...Drop me a PM sometime, if you want.
Dave63
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:29 pm

Hey Dave, I'm planning on heading to the river this weekend I will let you know how it is. I haven't been there this year yet so hopefully its navigatiable and huntable, I hear it is holding some crazy numbers (20,000+) of geese. I'm not that crazy about geese personally, but it beats staying home with the old lady taking down christmas decorations, with any luck maybe a few ducks will drop in. I'll go check it out and if it's as hot as I was told I'll drop you a PM then.
bandchaser
hunter

Postby Dave63 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:39 pm

Sounds good. We had huge numbers for a while but now they've tapered off some. I did see some heading toward the river earlier today. They sure aren't on Merom in any numbers and everything else is pretty much locked up. Good luck!
Dave63
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:03 pm

I'm not to worried about the ice in the river I shouldn't have far to go. I'm more worried about the ramp, maybe some one crazier than me will go dig it out before I get there. I got another spot up in Covington that stays open thanks to the Cayuga Power plant with some birds that doesn't need require a boat. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. I gotta a real inchy trigger finger that needs scratched. Ice fishing is always a good back up plan if all else fails. ttyl
bandchaser
hunter

Postby MerkEm » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:04 pm

Northwest Indiana, Lake county and our season was slow on the ducks and moderate on the geese.. As usual we had a lot of ducks show up after our duck season was closed.. But hey thats hunting!
MerkEm
hunter

Postby Mitch B. » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:26 pm

Don't sound like there are to many people close to Grant Co. Im gonna try the Miss. river tomorrow I did a little scouting today and caught a glimps of about 20 mallards going down. Probably won't go out early just try to catch them coming back from the fields. It's not been a good season for me I just bought a TDB 14 this year and only got to use it a few times but hopefully next year I can get it out a few more times. Good luck to all going out tomorrow.
Mitch B.
Newb

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting