Hendricks Co Area Hunting

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: northzoneguy, nitrousneil, badbowtie

Hendricks Co Area Hunting

Postby teddysberna » Wed May 12, 2010 8:57 pm

Just wondering how the duck and goose hunting typically is in that area? Im from KY, but have several college buddies from the Danville area and surroundings, and was wondering how good guys typically do around that area? They have tons of access to private fields and ponds and what not, but they dont typically duck hunt... How do you guys typically do in that area?? Thanks
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Re: Hendricks Co Area Hunting

Postby teddysberna » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:15 pm

2400 views and zero replies... Something isn't adding up... Does anybody hunt around that area??
ByersFarm wrote:

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby IndyWingmaster » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:14 pm

Sorry, I have been off the site for a while. Lot of birds around this area especially in December and January. Hard to get permission. I have not personally hunted in Hendricks for this reason. I would say if your buddies have good fields and ponds that you should have no problems. Good luck!
So we probably should have brought our guns.
IndyWingmaster
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:58 am

Good deal, thats what I was hoping to hear... We do quite a bit of deer hunting up there and know several farmers around the area, so hopefully we can do some damage... What about Racoon Lake and Glenn Flint or whatever its called?? Any ideas? Thanks again :beer:
ByersFarm wrote:

teddysberna
hunter

Postby stillwatersniper » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:08 am

Too hard to get permission in Hendricks Co anymore. I've been losing fields to other hunters and subdivisions for several years. We used to have a ton of acreage but I'm down to two fields now. There can be quite a few birds but there are also a lot of hunters in the Brownsburg area.
SWSniper
stillwatersniper
hunter

Postby Drattleff » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:24 pm

Fellas:

Hendricks county is where I hunt and there are a lot of birds. 99% field hunting, but with the right fields, there are tons of birds. Shot over 100 geese last year, mostly near Brownsburg. Birds coming off Eagle Creek. But there are tons of birds that never leave apartment retention ponds and feed in corn stubble in late Dec and Jan. With the right scouting and decoy setup, you should do well. I have plenty of decoys if you need another gun as the daily limit is only 2 birds a man. hunting in a group is more fun than just a few guys

DRAT
Drattleff
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:34 pm

There are good birds there, typically late season is best when the pits and little ponds freeze over you can get on em good in the fields but you gotta be good and lucky. If you srcew up and flare the birds there just as likely to sit in the field next to you and just laugh at you all day all 2500 of them. (that day sucked). They will typically come off of Eagle Creek Res. and fly west along I-74 about a mile or 2. If you got buddies in Danville see if you can get them to chase the 1000 birds off the school property so we can shoot them this weekend. Give me a shout if you need a hand killing em I usually roll solo but that gets boring after a while.

Come on Fall!

Happy hunting
bandchaser
hunter

Postby Drattleff » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:03 pm

BAndchaser:

I think I will let all the youngins get after the geese in the early season. It is just too hot to wop a goose. I am going to take advantage of dove season starting next weekend. I am now really practicing shooting arrows at 25 to 30 yards, getting ready for urban deer season. Getting fresh meat in the freezer. I am up on the north side all the time for business if you want to grab a sandwich and talk waterfowl. Let me know

Drat
Drattleff
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:30 am

Drat - Sure lunch sounds good, I live on the nothside but, I work in kokomo. So getting together during the week might be little tough. I'm always up for talking waterfowl anytime. I hunted a pond last night that had 70 birds on it on 8/31. On 9/2 not a feather. Have you ever hunted the White River up around 116th and Allionsville? I live about 3 minutes from the boat ramp and was thinking about getting some killing in before work if it's any good? The freezer is still empty, but I got my PSE and Remington 12 gauge itching to fix that soon enough.

Come on Fall!

happy hunting
bandchaser
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:49 am

teddysberna wrote:Good deal, thats what I was hoping to hear... We do quite a bit of deer hunting up there and know several farmers around the area, so hopefully we can do some damage... What about Racoon Lake and Glenn Flint or whatever its called?? Any ideas? Thanks again :beer:

OK, here's a brief report on Raccoon Lake. 5 years ago birds were dumb and easy to find and kill. Today things are a bit tougher. The boat traffic seems to have spread the birds out all over the lake which makes it tough. One day thier by the dam the next thier up the creek. Also they like to leave a couple sentenaries behind while the flock goes out to feed, what I've seen happen to many times is when they come back is no matter how good yor spread looks or what calling you do, if that sentenary isn't sitting next to your boat you have no chance. The good news is there are birds out there, if you got the patience, time and equipment I think they can be killed but its work anymore. I don't know if you can hunt out there in the early season. If you do don't even try it on a weekend. Those stupid skiers are out skiing at 7:00am, DNR probably would frown if you took a limit of skiers by accident.

Come on Fall!
bandchaser
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting