White River northside of Indy????

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: nitrousneil, badbowtie, northzoneguy

White River northside of Indy????

Postby bandchaser » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:44 am

Ok guys I need some help. Can anyone verify for me what are the legal hunting area's are for the White River on the northside of Indy? (Around the 116th St. area in particular.) I've read on here that you can hunt that area but I'm having a hard time finding any definative info on it. I have tried to call DNR but they are no help. I just moved up that way and live minutes away from the river I was hoping to get some quick morning and evening hunts before and after work. If any of you know the rules concerning this area. Or could help direct me to the right place to find the facts concerning hunting up there, I would save you a seat in the boat when the mallards come flocking in there later this year. Thanks guys. JK

Come On Fall
bandchaser
hunter

Re: White River northside of Indy????

Postby filletfetish » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:43 pm

I always call the local police station and find out for sure, since those are the ones that will arrest you! Make sure you get a name of the person that tells you where city limits ends and the rest of the world starts. :thumbsup:
filletfetish
hunter

Postby indyhunter » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:19 pm

Yes, you can hunt this I live in carmel and have fished here but not hunted. I had a thread about this topic last year and was told that redheads and pintails have been seen there! I was fishing up river at river road park not far from the area your talking about and saw some guys in a boat with waders on and all their gear. Down river near the waste water plant looks awesome for hunting though. Have fun.
indyhunter
hunter

Postby fhhunter1 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:31 am

I'll tell you from experience that redheads and pintails on the white river in carmel would be a huge stretch.
fhhunter1
hunter

Postby IndyWingmaster » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:20 pm

fhhunter1 wrote:I'll tell you from experience that redheads and pintails on the white river in carmel would be a huge stretch.

Why is that?
So we probably should have brought our guns.
IndyWingmaster
hunter

Postby fhhunter1 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:27 am

Its unlikely you will kill anything other than mallards or geese. An occasional off-duck here and there but I've never seen redheads there and pintails very rarely. Not saying some redheads wont blow through on occasion but it would be pretty rare.
fhhunter1
hunter

Postby hankyorke » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:53 pm

IndyWingmaster wrote:
fhhunter1 wrote:I'll tell you from experience that redheads and pintails on the white river in carmel would be a huge stretch.

Why is that?

Common sense... Redheads & Pintails are rarely harvested in Indiana let alone on one of the smallest rivers. Both species combined make up less than 2k of the 80k ducks harvested in Indiana in 2009. Let be honest, the White isn't exactly a hotspot or a destination for "odd" birds, heck its not even a destination for Mallards...
hankyorke
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:20 pm

Ok, it seems like hunting is legal. I really don't care what type of duck comes in, as long as I can get out and have a chance at some action close to the house is fine with me. I'm a equal opportunity killer. Does any one know the rules or boundaries? Is it North of a particular street 82nd, 96th...? Do you have to hunt from a floating boat? Or can you bank the boat down stream and walk up to your spread and hunt off the bank? Any required distances? i.e - you have to stay ___ ft. away from a house, bridge, boat ramp? Anything like that?

Thanks guys for all your help I will look forward to hearing more from you guys as the season gets closer. I hope to see ya on the water with a smoking barrel. JK
bandchaser
hunter

Postby phil » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:08 pm

phil
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:44 pm

I live near the St Joe in South Bend, and the DNR has the same exact answer here as in the article. Know your boundaries and be safe. If you call the DNR, ask for the CO for the specific area you want to hunt. They will usually call you back if you leave a message.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby SlainDuckSaints » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:11 pm

If you enjoy tearing up your outboard and being harassed by carmelites and their police-force.....then hunt on the white river. To see a pintail or redhead in that area must mean the stars lined up perfectly the night before.....but like they say "opinions are like elbows, everybody has a couple of them"
SlainDuckSaints
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:38 am

Ok I got it now, hunt at your own risk; risk of getting tickets and cop harassment, broken motors, getting shot, and not seeing any birds. hmmm...I think I'll pass. So much for enjoying city life. I have to back to the country soon. Thanks for all your help guys you've been real helpful, (thanks for article papa) but you can have that river sh_t. I think I'll find something else to do this winter. Where is that bowling alley and my beer? lol.

It wont be long now, Come On Fall!
bandchaser
hunter

Postby jdcarr21 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:45 am

I hunted south of the 116th Street bridge this year on opening day. The river is really shallow so I had to wade past the homes south of the bridge. I saw a few birds and fired once at Geese moving up the river. It is a real pain to get to a spot you can hunt on the river. Not really worth all the trouble for the amount of birds you see.
jdcarr21
Newb

Postby IndyWingmaster » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:07 pm

hankyorke wrote:
IndyWingmaster wrote:

Why is that?

Common sense... Redheads & Pintails are rarely harvested in Indiana let alone on one of the smallest rivers. Both species combined make up less than 2k of the 80k ducks harvested in Indiana in 2009. Let be honest, the White isn't exactly a hotspot or a destination for "odd" birds, heck its not even a destination for Mallards...

Fair enough, but to call the White River one of the smallest rivers is pure smoke. In fact, the western fork of the White River is the 3rd largest stream in Indiana behind the Ohio and Wabash and there are several smaller than that. I work on wetlands all around Indianapolis and I have seen pintails on several occasions. I would never say that the White River in Indianapolis is a hot spot for "odd" birds, but I surely wouldn't call it a huge stretch. Especially since I spotted over the weekend a few pintails along with several other ducks in a large pond connected to the White River on the southside of 465 North.
So we probably should have brought our guns.
IndyWingmaster
hunter

Postby fowlaholic » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:01 pm

Very very late in the season around nobeltucky the white does hold redheads they feed on the riffles.....First saw em there 20+ years ago. Too bad that spot is in city limits now. early January is the best time to catch them....And exotic LMAO...Lets see last season I took Widgeon. pintail, Blacks, gadwall, Redhead, Shoveler, Ringneck, scaup, mallard, Teal gw and bw, And a speck..Know the erea you hunt and scout scout and scout some more....Oh by the way most of these birds were taken with The Indy skyline in sight.
gettin out is all the fun if you bag a bird thats a bonus
fowlaholic
hunter

Postby SlainDuckSaints » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:35 pm

The river south of indy is bigger and better....thats for sure along with the boat ramps.
SlainDuckSaints
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting