Newbie!

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: nitrousneil, badbowtie, northzoneguy

Newbie!

Postby Royal Coachmen » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:35 pm

Alright fellas. I'm brand spanking new to the sport. I have heard my cousin rave about duck hunting and I'd like to give it a try. I've got a shotgun that will chamber a 3" round and some camo. I have waders (but will probably freeze to death in them). I have 2 friends who hunt public land but usually only during the week so they can offer no suggestions for weekend warriors.

Can any of you suggest any public land in/around Hamilton County where the weekend crowds are not abhorrent? I'd like to keep any "commute" to within 1 hour of Hamilton County. If I can find the right spot I'll go here in a weekend or two. If you all are kind enough to make a suggestion and there are "secrets" to how to navigate the public land I would appreciate that knowledge as well. I'm on talking about spots, I'm only referring to procedural matters. (i.e. fewer people hunt west side of it than east, walk a little farther and there's fewer folks, you've to go check in with park ranger before and after hunt, etc...)

Thank so much guys.
Royal Coachmen
Newb

Re: Newbie!

Postby bandchaser » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:04 pm

Welcome, I would like to help you out with public hunting spots around Hamilton county but I don't think there are any. Your looking at 2+ hours to minnehaha, the goose pond, and patoka. You've got 1.5 hours to monroe, and raccoon state park (boat almost required). If you go to those places go early and scout your ass off before you hunt, then hope you get drawn. I'm from indy too, not much around the city to hunt anymore except the white river but you need a boat and a lot of patience for that. Good luck out there.
bandchaser
hunter

Postby hankyorke » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:15 pm

bandchaser wrote: go early and scout your ass off

Thats the only thing you need to know.
hankyorke
hunter

Postby ahartley » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:22 pm

you might have better luck trying to get permission from farmers to use their land. i work in fishers off 116th st. i ask everyone i know that comes in and still no luck!!
ahartley
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting