Why do they chiesel plow everything?

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: badbowtie, northzoneguy, nitrousneil

Why do they chiesel plow everything?

Postby bandchaser » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:09 am

Thousands of geese everywhere but only sitting in the fields with the high stacks left. All my fields are chiesel plowed or beans the neighbors are not. I can't get a single bird to commit to my fields, I've tried everything but they hit the same damn fields everyday (the ones about half mile away with the high stacks left). I'm not a farmer, what is the benefit of chiesel plowing anyway? I know I hate it. Anyone else facing this same problem?
bandchaser
hunter

Re: Why do they chiesel plow everything?

Postby mudman692566 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:33 am

Don't hold me to it, but I think they plow everything to allow for water shed come thaw, as well as, being one step ahead come spring. The further ahead they are at the begining of spring the more rainfall those crops will get early on which is needed with the summer droughts we seem to get year after year. Doesn't do us as waterfowlers any good, I know exactly what your dealing with. One solution is to try and obtain permission from farmers that left stalks behind. Once you get permission, treat that field as though you were goning to plant it as is come spring ( no hulls, trash and deep ruts ) and you will probably retain it for years to come. I'm sure there are more or better reasons but in the mean time good luck and good hunting.
mudman692566
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:02 pm

I figured there was some reason for it, besides helping waterfowlers. Permission is getting tough to come by this year for some reason. I've been shut out in all the fields that are holding birds. Then once I get permission in field the birds are gone. So frustrating... can anyone else relate to my misery? This season is really starting to piss me off, lol.
bandchaser
hunter

Postby Camonelli » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:33 pm

Well do not feel bad, this year we left all our fields and did not chisel them. We even left every 10th row up, have been in the field for quite a few hunts and I have seen lots of birds but they just have no intrest in our field. I think around here they are honed in on where they have been feeding and it is hard to pull birds off that path. Good Luck!
Camonelli
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:23 am

I think your right, they got a destination in mind when they pick up and if your not there you got nothing. What's more frustrating and confusing is these aren't local birds, and I still can't "talk" em into coming into taking a look. I only need 2 dumb ones out of 5000, you would think that wouldn't be that hard, right? But it is...maybe this weekend will be the one where it all changes. Good luck and happy hunting. (or unhappy hunting as I am)
bandchaser
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:16 am

You need to understand how everything fits togather .
Your local birds are what attracts the non-locals . And these vistors will go where the locals go . If you shoot up the locals early in the season they are going to find a place where they are not getting shot . And when they find that place the other birds are going to follow them to it .
You also need to practice a little common sense . Stay off the "X" and hunt the edge of it . Let the big groups fly and just gun the small bunches .Keep shooting to a min. . In other words , get in ,kill the first SMALL group that decoys , and get out .
You can train them to use your field , it just takes some common sense and some time .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:36 am

Thanks Oldman, that's good advice, and for the most part a strategy I employ. Even though beening on the X is nice once and a while. My question would be how to get the small groups to decoy when they ALL go to the "X" everytime? I can't even get the singles and doubles to play nice right now. I'll keep working at it, I'm sure I'm learning something I can use in years to come, I just haven't figured out what that is yet. A bad day of hunting, is better than a good day of work is what I keep telling myself. Keep shooting em
bandchaser
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:16 am

"My question would be how to get the small groups to decoy when they ALL go to the "X" everytime?"

It may appear like that but they all do not go to the "X" all the time . Spend enough time just watching them and you will see what I mean .
Don't know what the snow conditions are where you are hunting . If it is like it is where I'm hunting with crusted , drifted snow get your self in a cut bean field .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:53 am

Oh believe me I've been watching em plenty. LOL! I called in reinforcements from some of your Northern counterparts this weekend, either we are going to change the "X" or go to it. Either way they're in for a hurting this weekend.
bandchaser
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:56 pm

My question would be how to get the small groups to decoy.

Decoy placement and calling.
A little skill and some luck.
"I Didn't Come This Far To Miss!"
ddragon47
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:01 pm

I'll give that a try too. Thanks for the tip.
bandchaser
hunter

Postby stillwatersniper » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:07 pm

We typically hunt geese that do the things that you're talking about. We're rarely on the X but we setup between them and cut them off from the X. How? Large quantities of decoys that make it look like the X. We'll pull out everything we own to run traffic on geese. It's frustrating at times but it can be done.
SWSniper
stillwatersniper
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:34 am

That's what I've been having to do also, we got a few "trafficer's" killed on Saturday that way. Then I found the "X" on Sunday and killed somemore, I would recommend going the "X" route its alot easier. Set out 2-3 dozens full bodies and hide your ass and your good. $230 in gas, $75 in expenses, Hunting the "X" and shooting a limit = priceless.
bandchaser
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:19 am

" Set out 2-3 dozens full bodies and hide your ass and your good. $230 in gas, $75 in expenses, Hunting the "X" and shooting a limit = priceless"

Set out a few good decoys , get in the pit , 10min. from home , no real expenses , stay off the "X" a couple hundred yards , shoot your limit most everytime you hunt every season . To me THAT is priceless .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:30 pm

Good for you Oldman, Good for you...
bandchaser
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:06 pm

I KNOW where the X is and I drive all around looking for Y. X is a really large lake in the middle of town (SAFETY).
WHY? Y=feeding fields.
Every day the geese go from X to Y and from Y to X. It's pretty easy to set up somewhere between the two points. It's not an exact science but this gives you flexibility to use lots of different fields. X may be 5-10 miles or more away from Y.

Then when the big flyby happens there is always a couple "lost" geese that are zigzagging looking for where did everybody go...
Those are the ones you want to focus your efforts on. Them little lost bunches. If you use this tactic you can kill geese and they won't catch on UNLESS you shoot at big flocks.

Rule of thumb: Don't shoot at a flock that has more in it than you can legally kill at THAT moment.
This is a tough rule but you'll kill more geese if you pass up on the big flocks.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:56 am

aunt betty wrote:I KNOW where the X is and I drive all around looking for Y. X is a really large lake in the middle of town (SAFETY).
WHY? Y=feeding fields.
Every day the geese go from X to Y and from Y to X. It's pretty easy to set up somewhere between the two points. It's not an exact science but this gives you flexibility to use lots of different fields. X may be 5-10 miles or more away from Y.

Then when the big flyby happens there is always a couple "lost" geese that are zigzagging looking for where did everybody go...
Those are the ones you want to focus your efforts on. Them little lost bunches. If you use this tactic you can kill geese and they won't catch on UNLESS you shoot at big flocks.

Rule of thumb: Don't shoot at a flock that has more in it than you can legally kill at THAT moment.
This is a tough rule but you'll kill more geese if you pass up on the big flocks.

Every day the geese go from X to Y and from Y to X. It's pretty easy to set up somewhere between the two points. The Z

This is a tough rule but you'll kill more geese if you pass up on the big flocks. :clapping:
ddragon47
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:57 am

Screw all that I'm just going to go with Oldman49 and sit in his pit and kill limits everytime. lol. I'm just kidding of course. But what I think your talking about is "running traffic", or at least that is what we call it. And your right its does work on the singles and doubles which is where I usually focus my attention most days. However, laying on the X is pretty nice too, I can't deny that I thoroghly enjoyed myself the last time I found hundreds of geese and ducks tripping over themselves to get in front of my gun barrel. I wouldn't do it everyday, but once and a while, its nice to remember why we spend all the time and money chasing these silly birds all over the state. To enjoy ourselves!!! Have a great remainder of the season and don't forget to save an "x" or 2 for the nuisance season. (if you have one)
bandchaser
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:09 pm

You never know Chaser , you might get to do it someday . I don't kill a limit every time , just most of the time . Don't be surprized when you can only take 4 shells with you and you have to pass any groups that have more than 6 or 7 birds in them . And don't expect to hunt more than 3 hours at most , and no hunting first 2 weeks of season or weekends and holidays .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:29 am

Hey Oldman, I am open to learning anything to make this silly game easier. It would just be hard to find time to hunt with you casue the weekends and holidays are the only days most of use get to hunt. Most of us can't pick and choose the days we "feel like killing a few" we gotta go work at it and go when we can. Maybe some day when I'm "more experience" I'll be as lucky as you. Keep up the good work. We did shoot a 3 man limit Sunday sitting off the "X" and shooting only the small bunches. You'd been proud.
bandchaser
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:26 pm

You should keep on working as long as you can . S.S. needs the money and I like receiveing my check every month . :biggrin:
I don't hunt the weekends and holidays because thats when everyone else hunts . Birds get shot up everywhere they go except my fields , doesn't take but a couple weekends for them to learn where they are "safe" . It may take a couple years but you can train them to use the place(s) that you hunt . A little bait after season closes doesn't hurt either .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:31 am

I gotta ya covered brother, I'll keep working, if you keep teaching the younger folk the wisdom of your years. Tip # 1.) Bait in the off season. #2.) Stay off the "x". #3.) Buy a field so you can dig a pit. #4.) Retire so you can hunt whenever you feel like it. #5.) Talk smack on the internet about how easy you got it, lol. I'm a quick learner. Thanks
bandchaser
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:15 am

"#3.) Buy a field so you can dig a pit."
Don't have to buy the field , just pay the farmer for the lost crop on that small piece.

"#5.) Talk smack on the internet about how easy you got it, lol."
Learn who to help . If someone appears really interested in learning share what you have learned with them . Let the others learn the hard way , if at all . :thumbsup:
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:59 pm

"#5.) Talk smack on the internet about how easy you got it, lol."
Learn who to help . If someone appears really interested in learning share what you have learned with them .

The Old Man has given me a lot of information over the years and no smack. :yes:
ddragon47
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:14 am

I wasn't being a smart ass, #5 was a joke hence the "LOL" at the end. I'm sure you can help me, if you look in my freezer you would see I need it. It's pretty empty

Keep killing em! (if you feel like it), lol. (thats a joke too)

Take care till next time.
bandchaser
hunter

Next

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting