Why do they chiesel plow everything?

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: northzoneguy, nitrousneil, badbowtie

Re: Why do they chiesel plow everything?

Postby ddragon47 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Cant find my field it's under 2 feet of snow. :sad:
"I Didn't Come This Far To Miss!"
ddragon47
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:43 pm

Chaser , knew you were kidding . Don't worry about it - no blood no fowl . I'm sure you are not the only one with a empty freezer . Everyone has good years and bad years , just got to hang in there .

Dave- if you got 2 ft of snow in your field you must be hunting east of home .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:13 pm

Both are east of 39 one off of US30 and one off of 8
"I Didn't Come This Far To Miss!"
ddragon47
hunter

Postby tdubois » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:18 pm

i have to agree 100% with oldman on everything he said I do the same thing he does only i never start till dec. when its good and cold. colder the better. that right there gets rid of half of the skybuster. i dont hunt weekends. just a few hours at a time and never never hunt the x. always off to the side. one tactic i have tried that might help as far as when you said the would not decoy to you. i have found that at some point the season the birds dislike my decoys. full bodys, floater, shells doesnt mater. i can not explain why but they dont like the decoys no matter how what type i try or pattern. when this happens i set the decoys were i dont want the birds to be and simply he away from them, generally were the wind will take them once the flare. even when i use this tactic, it goes back to what the oldman said pass on big flocks get your birds killed and get out.
tdubois
Newb

Postby Oldman1949 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:49 pm

Well, since season is over and very few are interested now, might as well add a bit of "advice" .
If you are useing full bodies or shells do not face them all the same direction . Allways have a few that are sideways to the wind , even a couple that are backwards . And leave at least 5 foot between each decoy .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:23 am

Thanks for the tips guys, I hope I can remember some of them come next season.
bandchaser
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:35 am

Chaser , the best way to learn is to spend LOTS of time watching . Find a field the birds are useing and just sit in your truck and watch them . Make notes about how they act , what they do , the sounds they make and when they make them . And remember they will act differently at different times of the year and according to how much pressure they have received .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:45 am

Thanks oldman, and believe me I became a pretty good bird watcher this season. lol. I know all the sounds they make too, I just need to practice my calling somemore so I can replicate the sounds everytime on demand. I'll be ready come next year...
bandchaser
hunter

Previous

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting