Duck Hunting Forum banner

South Zone opener

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  badbowtie 
#1 ·
My worst ever! The day before the opener I was finishing up a few things when the land owner called to tell me that they are draining my only private spot to increase tillable acreage on the farm. She said that workers would be on site Wednesday morning to start the project, so I will no longer be able to hunt the land. NO WARNING!!! :mad: I mean, come on, like they haven't been planning this for some time? My only option was to go public. It was a last minute deal with almost no scouting. I saw about 20 ducks and 10 geese, but we never fired a shot. On the bright side, I cooked a mean breakfast and the company wasn't too bad either.

Let's see some pics and hear some reports from you guys who fared better. :thumbsup:

#2 ·
this was our thursday morning hunt. Me on the left with a buddy and my dad. that domestic came in with a group of canadas i think everybody was gunning for it ha. Didnt know what it was until the dog brought it back. virtually no ducks so far this season, just canadas. Should start seeing good movements soon though.

Attachments

#3 ·
phil said:
My worst ever! The day before the opener I was finishing up a few things when the land owner called to tell me that they are draining my only private spot to increase tillable acreage on the farm. She said that workers would be on site Wednesday morning to start the project, so I will no longer be able to hunt the land. NO WARNING!!! :mad:
ive lost plenty of spots in similar situations, and it does suck. I try to visit with every landowner before the season starts, and stop by from time to time throughout the season to make sure that we are still on the same page. what zone are you hunting in? im in the south.

#4 ·
I am in Frankfort, which is about 45 minutes north of Indy. We are still in the South Zone though. I do most of my hunting in the North Zone because I cant seem to get permission on the few local fields that are hunt-able close to home. I even go over to Illinois to hunt with a friend when I have time. BTW...Nice job on the opener! :thumbsup:

#6 ·
Where at Hovey's did you hunt on Saturday Bowtie, didn't you have 2nd pick? Figured you for zone 4 and alot more than 3 ducks. Keep in mind that Oatville bottoms is at 15 and New Harmony is at 11 so Walbash lowlands area is plenty out, plus they really pounded ducks there Saturday don't know about Sun, or Mon. Will be hunting each at least once this week while also hunting the Ohio backwater. Hunted Ohio backwater yesterday and killed 4 Cracker Barrel mallards. Cold front should help pick up the numbers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.