Season is over and scouting begins

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: northzoneguy, nitrousneil, badbowtie

Season is over and scouting begins

Postby max4getem » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:40 am

Well now that the season is over and scouting for new spots begins. Hopefully I can find some new spots to hunt for next season.
max4getem
hunter

Re: Season is over and scouting begins

Postby cam liden » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:01 pm

dont forget the late season!
cam liden
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:15 pm

It must be time for late season goose to start.
It's all most 60 degs. outside. :lol3:
"I Didn't Come This Far To Miss!"
ddragon47
hunter

Postby max4getem » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:15 pm

I am not hunting late season the weather is to messed up for me.
max4getem
hunter

Postby cam liden » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:06 am

suit yourself. we shot four yesterday. Doesnt matter how warm it its, nothin beats black feet down in the decoy spread
cam liden
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:43 pm

Was a good day today. cold, wet, foggy and even the geese were flying. :biggrin:
"I Didn't Come This Far To Miss!"
ddragon47
hunter

Postby mudman692566 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:24 am

Tired of hearing about the Feb. goose season!!!!! If DNR really wants to curb some numbers they will open some zones in the southern part part of the state south of I-64. There are plenty of birds down here during those 2 weeks and it seems to be the only time when the locals will travel outside of city limits.
mudman692566
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:19 pm

Are the majority (80%+) of those birds residents or MVP birds ? Did anyone do/help with the survey counts that determined what counties were included in the special season ?
My guess is the answer to those questions is NO .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby mudman692566 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:45 am

Your statement Oldman is exactly that, a GUESS. The majority of our birds are locals/urban and I wasn't aware that It is my responsibility to do the surveys. As for the 80% rule for a lack of better term, it has already been reported that not all the counties currently allowed to hunt the Feb. extended season are meeting the 80% local/urban/mvp harvest criteria yet are still being allowed to hunt the extended season. So like I said, spread the wealth and open some counties south of I-64. If you're killing your "80%" birds up there then we won't affect you at all by killing ours down here!!!
mudman692566
hunter

Postby cam liden » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:51 am

I agree. I live in morgan county, and basically every county that surrounds morgan is open for hunting in feb, except owen county. why is that, i asked a CO, he had no idea. Even my old boss, the president of the Indiana chapter national audobon society, had no idea. every county around Owen is open, and I see more geese in owen county in february than i do in any other place the whole season.
cam liden
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:26 am

mudman692566 wrote:Your statement Oldman is exactly that, a GUESS. The majority of our birds are locals/urban and I wasn't aware that It is my responsibility to do the surveys. As for the 80% rule for a lack of better term, it has already been reported that not all the counties currently allowed to hunt the Feb. extended season are meeting the 80% local/urban/mvp harvest criteria yet are still being allowed to hunt the extended season. So like I said, spread the wealth and open some counties south of I-64. If you're killing your "80%" birds up there then we won't affect you at all by killing ours down here!!!

Yes , it was just a guess . So it shouldn't be hard for you to prove me wrong should it ?
It is not , and was not your responsibility to do or help with any surveys . The Feds said they had to be done and the State did not have the manpower to do them in all counties . Sometime you have to put in a little effort to get special things . Sure enough , there are a few counties that went over the 80% (by 2%) and they still have to check their birds . And if they keep going over you can watch their Feb. season go away .
If you want some of the wealth try putting forth a little effort to get it instead of complaining. And none of them are my birds , they have wings and can move as they please .
And in case you didn't know , the Feds set the rules , not the state . So at least complain to the correct source .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby mudman692566 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:58 pm

Yes the Feds set it based upon STATE reports and surveys which is what I'm "complaining" about! Get em off their asses and do some work of which they are being paid for. I've never been scared of hard work in a day in my life, and don't mind doing a share of it in order to obtain a the same priveleges others in this state do; that being said and since you seem to be so knowlegable about this, why don't you give me some phone numbers or contacts of where I need to be to do such, as I'm GUESSING based on your responses you've have put in your share of hours assisting state and federal agencies in doing surveys. Other than that enjoy your 80% while I vent at not being able to get a shot at mine!!!
mudman692566
hunter

Postby mudman692566 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:06 pm

Sorry max4getem, not trying to highjack you thread, I need to go to: Season is over and SURVEYING begins, my bad.
mudman692566
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:17 pm

mudman692566 wrote:Yes the Feds set it based upon STATE reports and surveys which is what I'm "complaining" about! Get em off their asses and do some work of which they are being paid for. I've never been scared of hard work in a day in my life, and don't mind doing a share of it in order to obtain a the same priveleges others in this state do; that being said and since you seem to be so knowlegable about this, why don't you give me some phone numbers or contacts of where I need to be to do such, as I'm GUESSING based on your responses you've have put in your share of hours assisting state and federal agencies in doing surveys. Other than that enjoy your 80% while I vent at not being able to get a shot at mine!!!

I've decided that you are right and I'm wrong . The State just sits in their offices and do not do anything . And since the State and Fed folks are so lazy I'll not waste any of your time with contact info for them . Wouldn't want them to do anything they don't have to do we ? Guess you might say that I have put in my share of time counting birds , attending meetings , writting letters , makeing phone calls , ect . .
By the way , the county I live in didn't get in the Feb. season . Seems we didn't have a large enough population of resident birds . But at least I can say I did what I could .MANY others also stayed informed and did what they could do .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby mudman692566 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:44 am

Right or wrong is not the way this has been presented yet inturpreted. I have clearly stated the obvious based on what I SEE in the southern portion of the state below I-64. The southern most 2 counties allowed to hunt in Feb. are 50+ miles north of I-64. There is no convincing myself or MANY other DU and Waterfowl USA members and volunteers, as well as hunters that the numbers don't support a season in ANY of the southern counties, namely Warrick and Vanderburgh. You yourself stated that there was "not enough manpower" to conduct a survery in every county, why not? We still purchase licensing, stamps and pay taxes etc. like our northern waterfowling brothers. I fully did NOT expect you to provide any contact information by the way, was taking a shot in the dark if you would or even could. Keep on keeping on with the Feb. season up there, maybe one day us folks down here in the south will get a fair shake on it as well. Until then, we'll keep putting our gear away in January wondering how the privelleged portion of the state is doing, or we can read it here.
mudman692566
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:14 am

Like I said , your right . Someone had to get screwed and it was those counties turn in the barrel . Just seems funny that the D.U. and Waterfowl USA chapters in other counties found out about things and lent a helping hand .
Why would I want to provide anyone with contact info that knows all the facts ? It really isn't that hard to find anyway . You can find a Internet forum but you can't find any info on special goose seasons ??? Do your own leg work (hint- google is your friend) .
Be sure to present yourself just as you have here . I'm sure when you let them know they are giveing others special treatment and that they need to start doing what they are paid to do they will place you on the special treatment list . Untill then put your gear away and dream . Maybe next year I'll drive over a couple counties and hunt in Feb. . We can do that up here you know , just one of many special things we are allowed .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby mudman692566 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:44 am

Show me the way OLDMAN since you seem to be the foremost expert on what everyone has and hasn't done from hunters to Fed boys. It's narrow minded people such as yourself that rub people the wrong way, you ARE RIGHT. Feel better now, do we need to bow now? I guess all us folks down here in the south will just continue to bitch and complain while sitting in our eazychairs doing nothing but continue to dream the dream. Good day to you sir, I'm over debating the issue, YOU'RE RIGHT!!! (bow, bow, bow). Evansville Courier and Press outdoor journalist Phil Potter in Jan,2009 and in Feb,2009 also shared his thoughts with articles: What's good for the goose should be good for the gander: Special season not fair for the south. Guess he was just "complaining" as well. These articles are available to read, just google them, googles your friend remember.
mudman692566
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:13 am

Perhaps Mr. Phil Potter can provide you with contacts and facts . As a journalistI you would suspect that he gets paid to know all the facts and present them without bias .
And I'm far from a "expert" . But as a goose HUNTER it's my job to keep myself informed and know why things are the way they are .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby mudman692566 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:02 pm

I'm done with it, I wash my hands of this thread no longer worthy of my time.
mudman692566
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting