Duck Hunting Forum banner

New Zones and Date! Send in your comments

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  davecz 
#1 ·
#2 ·
This very well could be very ugly. I will start out with the new Central Zone schedule sucks! I am sorry, but early November in central Indiana is worthless anyways. The October season was nice because there was a somewhat noticeable amount of waterfowl activity in mid to late October. I am not saying this is the highest peak of waterfowl activity, but I certainly don't see that much out from early November to mid November. What a waste! I would prefer to keep it like the old south zone dates. If anything I would like a Oct. 27-28 and November 24 to January 20, similar to the new South Zone. I want to shoot late season mallards, not f#%^in shovelers!

#4 ·
Im a fan, we been trying for years to get a later season up north. This is a step in the right direction. As for the south zone now we can hunt ducks until January 20 also redrawing the line to truly incorporate the south end of the state. Before it was just the Ohio river.

#5 ·
Would prefer boundries stay the same but that's not going to happen. New south zone would be better off with a 2 day October season with the remainder of the season starting Thanksgiving day running the remaining 58 days (based on 60 day season), a week long October season, even in the old south zone structure was a waste, after 2 days of shooting teal and woodies with an occasional mallard the gig is up. The other 5 days would be better served during the migration portion of the season. Ddragon has it right, it will all depend upon the weather. I've seen the south zone holes froze up 3/4 thick on opening morning and wide open on last day so who really knows, id just rather kill ducks in mid/late january with a heater running than in october with sunblock and skeeter repellent. Just my 2 cents.

#8 ·
You guys in the south may want zone changes, but all I want up north is some more late hunting. I believe we used to get 8 days in Dec. I'd love to have a split and half the season in December. You old timers and millionaires can have your fair weather hunting the first half. Just give me the other half when the few ducks we do get around here finally get concentrated on what open water is left. I kill more ducks in the last 2 weeks of the season than the rest of it every year. I wish we could get some days in January. Creeks and cornfields are smokin' then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.