Delta Waterfowl Volunteer of the Year Award

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: northzoneguy, nitrousneil, badbowtie

Delta Waterfowl Volunteer of the Year Award

Postby dec » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:00 am

Guys, I could really use your help here. I had that privilege of being nominated for the Delta Waterfowl Volunteer of the Year Award and made it to the Final 7. I have to admit that while it is an honor, at first I was a little concerned about the nomination, because I am just one of about 15 on our NEI Committee who volunteers and works hard to pull off extremely successful banquets, the largest youth program in all of Delta Waterfowl, Veterans projects, habitat projects, and other local causes. The entire committee is what makes it "click". So, I ask for your vote for me (Derek Craig) ... not for me personally ... but for voting for me is to vote for the entire Northeast Indiana Chapter of Delta Waterfowl Committee, the volunteers, and our membership. It is a team effort and the award will be acknowledged as a team award, should I be fortunate to "win".

You may vote as many times as you like through August 4th. I thank you for your support. Please vote "Derek Craig".

http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/volunteeraward/

The following is a summary of what our NEI Chapter has completed since our chapter's 2008 inception.

$7,000 in local scholarships given to area college students.
Over $100,000 raised through banquets.
Over 800 Canada geese safely relocated and Federally banded.
Over 300 mallard hen nesting tubes constructed and installed.
Over 200 wood duck boxes constructed and installed.
Over 1,600 area youth have experienced our "Duck Day" education program, the largest annual youth event in all of Delta Waterfowl.
Sponsored an area Eagle Scout and his waterfowl related project.
Raised over $7,500 for a local cancer organization.
Raised over $5,000 for Wounded Warrior and Veterans support projects.
Derek Craig

New Day Outdoors Productions, Marsh Mutt, Drake Waterfowl Systems, DSD

Next time you go out hunting, consider taking a kid along. Our future is the greatest joy you will find this sport.
dec
hunter

Re: Delta Waterfowl Volunteer of the Year Award

Postby ddragon47 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:22 am

Way to go Derek. :clapping:
Nice to see at least one of the Delta did some good in Indiana.
"I Didn't Come This Far To Miss!"
ddragon47
hunter

Postby dec » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:34 pm

It is a team effort for sure. Our chapter tries to work hard and come up with new things to benefit the local community, hunters, and the birds every year. We really made a push the past two years working with veterans. Our youth program continues to grow, in terms of exposing kids to the education side of things. If I'd like to see us make a more concerted effort in one area would be youth hunts. That is an area where we as a chapter really need to improve. Hopefully we can make those strides in the next year or two.

In 4 years we have already been able to do 10X more good than we ever did in 20+ years as a DU chapter.

I appreciate any votes thrown my direction. :beer:
Derek Craig

Next time you go out hunting, consider taking a kid along. Our future is the greatest joy you will find this sport.
dec
hunter

Postby Greek » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:19 pm

Hey Derek,

Is there any chapters around Hamilton County area?? BTW I voted for you :)
Greek
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:44 pm

Greek wrote:Hey Derek,

Is there any chapters around Hamilton County area?? BTW I voted for you :)

I don't think so there are only a few left in the state and most are in the far south.
"I Didn't Come This Far To Miss!"
ddragon47
hunter

Postby dec » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:07 am

Sorry, been off the boards for the past week pretty much as my daughters had 4H fair to deal with. As for a chapter in the Hamilton Co. area, there is a Central Indiana Chapter, but most of the activity has dried up for the most part. However, a good friend of mine, Josh Ward, is the current chairman. Josh has told me that he wants to get things going again, but he cannot do it alone. He is looking for 2 or 3 people who want to jump in and help so that they can get their activity back up. They had a very strong chapter about 4 or 5 years ago. In fact it was many of those guys that convinced myself to jump on the Delta train when our local DU chapter decided to fold up shop. I'd get in touch with Josh if you are in the Central Indiana area. You can email him at joshward@embarqmail.com He is in the Fortville area, so should be close to you. :beer:

Hope that helps.

Voting ends on Saturday guys, please vote and vote often! Hopefully for me ... :biggrin:
Derek Craig

dec
hunter

Postby dec » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:41 am

Voting ends this Saturday guys. According to Delta's site, I'm in 2nd place. I need your support. You can vote up to 100 times per day, per computer, and per web browser. It takes about 1 minute to submit 100 votes. If you have multiple web browsers on one computer, you can vote 100 times in each browser. If you have multiple computers, you can vote 100 times per browser per computer ... that equals the potential for a ton of votes this week if you guys will help me and my chapter out.

Should I win, I will donate the gun back to our banquet and our chapter will use 100% of the money raised using the gun to a local Delta project.

Thank you all for your support.
Derek Craig

dec
hunter

Postby dec » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:04 am

I would like to say "THANK YOU!" to all that voted and the overwhelming outpouring of support and positive feedback that I received from everyone over the past month. I still contend that this award is more for our chapter committee than for myself. The award is an honor and I thank you all who voted. :beer:

http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/media/pr/ ... unteer.php
Derek Craig

dec
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting