Southern Marion/Johnson county hunting areas?

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: northzoneguy, nitrousneil, badbowtie

Southern Marion/Johnson county hunting areas?

Postby Danman88 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:07 pm

My name is Dan, I am 24 and I'm trying to find a few hunting areas near me. I have been duck hunting since I was 17 but all of it has been with my moms family in the thumb area Michigan or on our annual pilgrimage to Gwinner, North Dakota. Over the past couple years I have had to cut back on some things which last year included going to North Dakota. In doing the planning for this year it's hasn't looked promising however I have come up with an idea. My plan is to save money this season instead of making the trip and put it towards getting a few of my own things, such as decoys, so that I can hunt all season here for as much or less than it would cost to go out of state and hunt for 4 or 5 days.

As I said above I plan on spending this season saving, planning and scouting in hopes that I will be ready to go next season. Being as though I have never hunted Indiana and have never ventured out on my own before I have a few questions:

-Where are there, if any, quality hunting areas within 45 minutes of Beech Grove? My dad works with a guy who hunts the White River down near Harding st. so I know that is one possibility.

-Are these places a boat hunt or a wader hunt?

-Is it necessary or highly recommended to have a dog to hunt these areas?

-Is it an area that would require a large decoy spread or can I get by with a smaller one?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Danman88
Newb

Re: Southern Marion/Johnson county hunting areas?

Postby elfros » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:27 am

good luck 45 minutes outside indy in any direction
atturbury would be the closest public area, not counting the white river
you can walk in atturbury but the white is boat only
elfros
hunter

Postby Danman88 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:34 pm

elfros wrote:good luck 45 minutes outside indy in any direction
atturbury would be the closest public area, not counting the white river
you can walk in atturbury but the white is boat only

Atturbury is an option I have considered. However, in doing a little research I looks like I will have to open up my range a bit. Some of the other places I have found which i know are about an hour drive are:
-Hardin Lake at Raccoon SRA
-Monroe Ressivoir
-Lake Lemon

I have heard some good things about Monroe and Hardin Lake but nothing really about Lake Lemon. I haven't been there in a few years but from boating and fishing trips there I seem to recall on the East end of the lake some smaller, shallower more inland sections (maybe could go as far as to call them tributaries) with some cattail and weed growth. Again, I haven't been there in a while so my memory could be way off. Do you have any experience, good or bad, at any of these areas including Atturbury and the White River?
Danman88
Newb

Postby zelezack » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:44 am

My group hunted several of the public draws at Lake Monroe last year, nothing spectacular. The blinds in the actual marsh are pretty close so if you're into decoying birds you can pretty much forget it as people tend to sky bust when the birds are actually attempting to work somebody's decoys. As far as number of birds it was alright, geese almost never showed up during legal shooting hours but while you were picking up decoys.
zelezack
hunter

Postby elfros » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:50 am

you need boats for hunting the big lakes or your options are very limited.
lake lemon is private i believe
raccoon holds very few ducks some geese because they drop the water in the fall
this year the water never came up to summer pool so this brings us to an interesting thought
IF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we get large amounts of rain the water will flood the vegitation that has grown on the mud flts which would
attract and hold ducks IF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they dont get too much preassure
I know i am not the only one thinking this and some guys right know are screaming because i pointed this out but it will be worth a look see
elfros
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting