pathetic

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: northzoneguy, nitrousneil, badbowtie

pathetic

Postby billcollector7 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:32 am

this state is a joke for waterfowl. Wish the show duck dynasty never came out now everyone thinks they can duck hunt and all I see is a bunch of skybusters and idiots. I've had people ruin more shots for me than Shots I've actually taken all year. I dont think most of these clowns have ever seen a decoying duck. I suppose they just assume that you're only chance of killing a duck is shooting at them flying over at 80 yards or better yet let me work the birds and then you can take a shot at them when they swing out to get lined up with the wind. I gotta find some private land! Anyone have any ideas for taking care of these kinds of problems? Is anyone else noticing this same thing or am I the only one? :no:
billcollector7
hunter

Re: pathetic

Postby Breakfast Boy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:19 pm

I've only been duck hunting for a few years, but I think it's a lot like deer hunting. If you're going to hunt public land, you have to find a way to get to where the crowds don't go. That means a small boat (pirogue, canoe, kayak, etc) as one option, or hiking in to small ponds, river sections, or whatever. Of course, if you're limited to hunting the ready set blinds that the DNR makes you hunt from, you're just screwed unless you can hunt during the week. I've been using my kayak to duck hunt for the first time this year and I've been able float river sections that bigger boats just can't go. I'm also fortunate to work second shift, so I can go hunting mornings Monday through Friday. Public land places that are full of hunters on Saturday and Sunday are quite often totally empty during the week.

The only other option to all of this, I guess, is to find private land or put up with the crowds. There is a lot of land along rivers and I would think you could find someone to lease you a spot on the river, away from public land crowds, fairly cheap. Maybe they would even let you build a temporary, comfy blind. Of course, then you're stuck at that one spot.

Again, I'm new to this waterfowl stuff, but this is just my input.
"Minds are like parachutes...they work better when open."
Breakfast Boy
hunter

Postby billcollector7 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:58 pm

I agree with you breakfast boy. Everywhere I hunt has the blinds already set up and you must hunt from within those blinds unfortunately. I just want other hunters to realize when we're hunting ducks on public land we will all kill more ducks if we work together. Quit shooting at birds out of range! If you"re missing the birds its probably not that you"re a terrible shot but they were just too far. Plus when guys shoot at birds out of range all that does is educate the ducks. Then they become call and decoy shy. Also If birds are working another blind let them work and enjoy the show. You may get the next group. When other blinds try to steal the birds or force a shot because they are worried someone else will get to shoot them. All you"re doing is educating ducks and probably crippling a few also. Lets work together fellas and kill a lot more ducks. I generally wont shoot at ducks unless they are committed to my decoys unless its a chip shot on a single. I'm done preaching. Just try calling em in close and killing em clean. Then you will notice you and everyone else hunting the properties success rate sky rocket.
billcollector7
hunter

Postby Fowltalker » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:13 pm

I agree with you billcollector7. The people are very disrespectable I only hunt with my 2 kids who are 10 and 7. We went hunting in a place, we were the first people out there. A group of young guys came in asked us where we was hunting we told them and they said they would stay clear. Well I guess they got scared and ended hunting 60yds from us. They skybusted birds and peppered us constantly needless to say we lasted a hour and left. I can hunt next to people who are respectful but idiots ruin it for all!
Fowltalker
hunter

Postby Breakfast Boy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:47 am

Okay, I see what you're saying. Sorry, I misread it or something and thought you were upset about the lack of places without other hunters. I've never hunted the pre-set blinds/stake hunts for the same reason I don't hunt the state park reduction deer hunts...just not my thing. I'm kind of a loner when hunting and if I see too many other people in my spot it just takes some of the fun of being there out of it. Plus, some guys are just plain rude and unsafe, like you guys have mentioned.

If we could just win the lottery... :grooving:
Breakfast Boy
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:02 pm

Welcome to the new "it's all about me" generation !!!!
Guys can talk a good hunt , but when you put a small bunch of birds 80yards in front of them all the talk goes out the window . Heaven forbid the next blind over gets a shot and they didn't .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby billcollector7 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:19 pm

That's one thing I don't understand. I would honestly rather see someone have a nice hunt rather than all of us going home empty handed. If I have a terrible pick sometimes I'll pick a blind that is close to one of the better blinds just so I can go and be able to watch the birds work in to the better blind. At least I know I'm not completely alone on this. Let me know when you win the lottery breakfast boy. You can buy us a duck club for fowltalker and oldman1949 and myself to join and we will keep the yahoo's out! :beer:
billcollector7
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:53 am

"Let me know when you win the lottery breakfast boy. You can buy us a duck club for fowltalker and oldman1949 and myself to join and we will keep the yahoo's out!"

No need . I have a "club" allready so I no longer have to deal with the azz clowns . If I had tyo go back to hunting public areas I believe I would quit waterfowl hunting . I enjoy what I have WAYYYYY too much .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby Breakfast Boy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:20 am

Oldman1949 wrote:"Let me know when you win the lottery breakfast boy. You can buy us a duck club for fowltalker and oldman1949 and myself to join and we will keep the yahoo's out!"

No need . I have a "club" allready so I no longer have to deal with the azz clowns . If I had tyo go back to hunting public areas I believe I would quit waterfowl hunting . I enjoy what I have WAYYYYY too much .

Well then I will trade you a hunt at my new club for a hunt at your club...when I win the lottery of course. Lol! I wouldn't hold your breath, as I don't usually even buy tickets.

I don't know how much I would duck hunt (or any public land hunt for that matter) either if I couldn't get out during the week when everyone else is working and all I could hunt was public land.
Breakfast Boy
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:32 am

There is a chance I would make that trade , only one problem - we do not allow any guests .
Keep working and putting away a little money . After a number of years you can retire and have a place of your own .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby rds0523 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:07 pm

I have noticed here in NE indiana, alot of people who hunt in the places that have established blinds tend to be the guys who dont really care to go our and work for it or to go out and find the birds so they just hunt the properties with the blinds already in place usually laziness and stupid go hand in hand. IM NOT SAYING THIS IS EVERYONE WHO HUNTS THESE PROPERTIES but the concentration of stupid and lazy is much higher. i only have permission to 2 "private" properties and there are so many people who have permission there it might as well be public. I have noticed that when i run into other parties hunting lakes they dont seem to be the lazy ass skybusting jerkoffs that i encounter at draw properties. There are alot of outstanding hunting opportunities around NE/NW indiana that are public non-draw/permanent blind areas. i usually try to pick a couple spots in the same area so that if i run into another group in the morning i have a back up plan and enough time to get to one of my back up spots
rds0523
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:12 pm

Last Sunday to young men shot 2 swans at the Kank. They were so happy at the big birds they shot until the CO told them boys your in hot water now. :no:
"I Didn't Come This Far To Miss!"
ddragon47
hunter

Postby billcollector7 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:53 pm

no way ddragon47! There were people stupid enough to shoot swans? Did they think they had a pair of snow geese? Where I'm at in NW Indiana all the state properties have fixed blinds besides jasper-pulaski and its pretty pathetic and poorly ran. I know you can hunt any public access lakes but all the lakes I know of around here are pretty well established with houses. Have any of you guys hunted lakes that have houses all around it and done very well?
billcollector7
hunter

Postby mysticwolf » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:10 pm

billcollector7 wrote:this state is a joke for waterfowl. Wish the show duck dynasty never came out now everyone thinks they can duck hunt and all I see is a bunch of skybusters and idiots. I've had people ruin more shots for me than Shots I've actually taken all year. I dont think most of these clowns have ever seen a decoying duck. I suppose they just assume that you're only chance of killing a duck is shooting at them flying over at 80 yards or better yet let me work the birds and then you can take a shot at them when they swing out to get lined up with the wind. I gotta find some private land! Anyone have any ideas for taking care of these kinds of problems? Is anyone else noticing this same thing or am I the only one? :no:

Im with you on this issue, That show has screwed up a lot of places for us too, we have guys sky bustin at one lake we go to, I had enough one day and went over and told them to either learn to have patience and let the birds work and come in, or get the F+++ off the lake, have had to do this a few time with different hunters, so far they have not come back, lets hope they dont!!! They got as much right to hunt it as me, but I have hunted this lake for 20 years, and I dont put up with the stupid crap!!! :mad: We have also had guys shoot just to scare the birds off because they were coming to us and not them, That only happened 1 time, and I was right over there,They haven't come back either LOL :thumbsup:
Love to watch um back peddel when the blind opens up
mysticwolf
hunter

Postby max4getem » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:48 pm

I agree with you man, and they just hunt anywhere I had a kid set up 60 yards from me they other day then he tells me on the way this is his first time every hunting for ducks..... errrr pisses me off to no end.
max4getem
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:32 pm

If nobody Is allowed to hunt for their first time how can anyone carry on the sport? Bunch of whine bags get away from The crowds. Don't take a genius. Teach them don't scorn them.

Sent from my LGL75C using Tapatalk 2
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby max4getem » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:37 pm

I am not there to hold someone's hand to teach them sportman's ship, it common sense if you see some already set up you don't hunt by them same goes for deer hunting. However I will say this I have no problem helping people out or taking people with me I normally hunt by myself so I open to helping people out anytime. I just started duck hunting 3 years ago and I have asked veterans questions that they just kinda stared at me but they did answer the question for me. I will help out anyway I can with someone.
max4getem
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:19 am

I hunt Hoveys a few times a year and have experienced the same thing over and over but i know what im going into every time i go. I take it with a grain of salt and if need be i move at least around the bend. I do what they arent doing to try to make a difference. I have been there days where nobody was hunting and watched ducks flare over and over, and i have been there when its full and watch the same flight light into set after set till there wasnt a duck left... LOL

It pisses me off to see sky busters too, especially when they seem like they want to work a spread, or someone gets on a call to pull the ducks off me. But No since in typeing it here, if it bothers me i will do the same as at the dove draw guy kept shooting birds in front of me. I said sir from my angle it looks like i have the shot at those birds. he said gr hum gr hum... I Said ok sir next time you shoot a bird infront of my stake we will have a problem. not another shot fired my way. All it took was for me to tell him unless he wanted to wear a gun wrapped around his neck he best quit shooting infront of me. he quit. I suggest take a min to tell the guys they arent being sportsman and see where it goes if it continues call a C.O. and let them.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby billcollector7 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:22 am

I have no problem teaching someone how to duck hunt. In fact most of my duck hunting partners are my friends that I have taken out for there first hunts. I would like to think most other waterfowl hunters were taught by someone else that already had more knowledge of the sport. I doubt most of us just woke up one morning and decided we were going to give duck hunting a try. I was taught by my father and have tried to pass on what he has taught me to others. By all means teach others this great sport of waterfowl hunting. Don't expect to go out for your first hunt by yourself and with no clue how things really work and not piss off a few of the die hards
billcollector7
hunter

NE Indiana

Postby Black Smoke » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:41 am

Breakfast Boy and Mystic Wolf where at in NE Indiana are you guys? BTW, my buddy and I have been lockin down property and with people we know (not on a personal level) but have hunted their properties in the past will tell us now that their grandsons hunt. *** must mean they just got into it with Duck Dynasty and all!
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby JustStartin' » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:48 pm

Yeah newer guys that are getting into duck hunting is ruining it for all of us. I'm 18 and I feel like when I walk into the kank I feel shunned upon since I'm younger. I love getting a flock of birds to circle me 6-20 I don't care. It's fun to sit there and watch them circle even I they don't get into reach to shoot.
JustStartin'
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:19 am

Exactly! Man, I'm only 23 and I have been in your shoes. Just keep hunting the "right" way and people will see that and respect that. I don't normally hunt public property except lakes and that is where I see the worst type of skybusters!
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby CutEmUp89 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:42 am

They say that the duck hunter population is decreasing but I disagree because of all these stupid Yuppies thinking that anyone and their dog can go out and shoot ducks. Duck Dynasty is the worst thing for the duck hunting world.
Phillip Price

Fowl Obession Duck & Goose Calls Staff

Kill em' with their feet down, and wings cupped!

"I guess no one knows about Mo Booter?"
CutEmUp89
hunter

Postby JustStartin' » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:19 pm

Yeah. I can't wait to go to the lank this year and it will be butt to nut all the way to the turkeys waiting for numbers. Since I'm out of school I hope during the week it does down. I hate how JP is only Wednesday and Saturday hunts.
JustStartin'
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting