Reverting Tiled Field Into Wetlands

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: badbowtie, northzoneguy, nitrousneil

Reverting Tiled Field Into Wetlands

Postby Mojo281 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:39 am

After a long discussion with Wantingapintail, I have decided that I would like to revert one of my family's tiled fields into wetlands... I live in Texas, so tiled fields are somewhat new to me!! My mother owns a couple hundred acres that my uncle currently farms with corn or soybeans depending on the rotation. I would like to have him still farm it and have the ability to crops standing in a section and flood it.

I see 3 variables needed... 1. removing the "tiles" or drainage so the field will hold water, 2. dropping a levee around whatever acreage of standing crop I want to flood, 3. a water source, likely a well but if the field is on a county ditch can i use that water?

I'm sure it can be done... Has anyone done this before or have an experience in this?? Does anyone know if the State of Indiana draws grants for this kind of thing??

I'm a conservation minded hunter who would use this once or twice a year, and then leave it to the birds... Might let my new buddy hunt it on occasion. What are yall's thoughts??
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Re: Reverting Tiled Field Into Wetlands

Postby max4getem » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:16 pm

Umm it's a good idea however you need to make sure that your area will draw ducks. You also want to let it grow up a little bit and try to get grasses to grow. Also if you have a creek that is near you maybe able to pump water from the creek into the field to help with flooding of the field. however you might want to make sure that the land will hold water. So I would get with your state biologist and see if he could give you any ideas.
max4getem
hunter

Re: Reverting Tiled Field Into Wetlands

Postby Papachessie » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:05 am

If the fields are tiled, then more than likely they will hold water somewhere. Otherwise they wouldn't have had to put in tiles. If it used to be wet ground, the birds will find it once it's wet again. The main area I hunt is ditched fields that were once wetlands. Birds still frequent the area, especially once it gets cold and they start feeding on corn. Chances are, you'll have a low spot in the field somewhere that holds a lot of water if the tiles aren't there. A shallow pond in the middle of a corn field is a wonderful thing around here.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting