Anyone seeing any damn ducks?

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: northzoneguy, nitrousneil, badbowtie

Anyone seeing any damn ducks?

Postby mysticwolf » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:13 am

This has been by far the worst year we have had for ducks, havent seen much of anything beside locals, and they are smart now, wont even give us a second look, has anyone seen any northern flights around? I know its out now, but comes back in the 22nd where I live, Hope to do better the last part of season!! By now we noemaly have shot 30 or more ducks, so far we got 7 :sad: And only 5 geese, we dont even hear much shooting going on anywhere else around us either :sad:
Love to watch um back peddel when the blind opens up
mysticwolf
hunter

Re: Anyone seeing any damn ducks?

Postby mikebenghp » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:51 am

It seems the Mallards just started moving this way in decent numbers last weekend. We got a few northern mallards last weekend, one banded in Thunder Bay, Ontario. I have a feeling the "big push" is going to be going on during these two weeks we are closed up north. That being said, I dont think the big push will be all that big this year.
mikebenghp
hunter

Postby mysticwolf » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:23 pm

I just started seeing a few mallards today, seen around 300 or so in town on ponds that hadnt had them in a few weeks, I got a feeling your rite about the big push, not gonna happen till after the last part of the season is over, temps here are hi 30's at night, and in the upper 40's low 50's during the day,and going to be like that for at least 2 more weeks the weather man says :sad: not looking good at all :no: , didnt know if it was just us not seening them, or if was going on all over.
mysticwolf
hunter

Postby Dbishop311 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:13 pm

Theres birds but no one is going to tell you where they are. Neither will the computer. Go look.
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby mysticwolf » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:18 am

Dbishop311 wrote:Theres birds but no one is going to tell you where they are. Neither will the computer. Go look.

I am NOT asking where they are :mad: Just wanted to know if anyone is seeing them, I have looked, and looked , and looked, and we can not find any You dont have to worry about me going to some one elses spot, I am NOT like that, just wanted to know if people have been seeing anything DAMN :mad: What is this forum for if guys dont want to help each other? I though duck hunter were sort of like brothers, Guess some dont see it that way, if some one ask me where we have been seeing birds, I let them know, because I dont care, I am probably a better hunter than them anyway!! SO F.O.
mysticwolf
hunter

Postby Blindedheart212 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:00 am

mysticwolf wrote:
Dbishop311 wrote:Theres birds but no one is going to tell you where they are. Neither will the computer. Go look.

I am NOT asking where they are :mad: Just wanted to know if anyone is seeing them, I have looked, and looked , and looked, and we can not find any You dont have to worry about me going to some one elses spot, I am NOT like that, just wanted to know if people have been seeing anything DAMN :mad: What is this forum for if guys dont want to help each other? I though duck hunter were sort of like brothers, Guess some dont see it that way, if some one ask me where we have been seeing birds, I let them know, because I dont care, I am probably a better hunter than them anyway!! SO F.O.

I have found out through the years that hunters sharing their secrets is taboo.
Blindedheart212
hunter

Postby mysticwolf » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:08 am

Blindedheart212 wrote:
mysticwolf wrote:

I have found out through the years that hunters sharing their secrets is taboo.

:violin:
mysticwolf
hunter

Postby bigmonty » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:43 am

I have been searching all over and finally found some Sunday the last day of the first season. We smoked a 3 man limit on all Shovelers... After smoking all them the Mallards came in and we sat out there and watched them come into the decoys. We also have been shooting Buffleheads, Green Wing Teal, Wideon, Wood Ducks, and I have a seen a few Goldeneye flying around. My tally for the year is just shy of 100 ducks and we are at 70 geese. Best of luck man and be safe in the muck!
bigmonty
hunter

Postby mysticwolf » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:27 am

bigmonty wrote:I have been searching all over and finally found some Sunday the last day of the first season. We smoked a 3 man limit on all Shovelers... After smoking all them the Mallards came in and we sat out there and watched them come into the decoys. We also have been shooting Buffleheads, Green Wing Teal, Wideon, Wood Ducks, and I have a seen a few Goldeneye flying around. My tally for the year is just shy of 100 ducks and we are at 70 geese. Best of luck man and be safe in the muck!

Thanks bigmonty, Thats all I wanted to hear, best of luck to you sencond part of the season :beer:
mysticwolf
hunter

Postby jriedel » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:20 pm

I hear ya...I don't know why people get on each other about asking if they are seeing ducks. We are on here to share stories and to see if anyone is having any luck. I remember last year someone tried to bite my head off because i was working out of state and i simply asked if the river was froze over. But whatever, people will be who they want to be.

good luck to everyone, Hoping some ducks make it down here to So. Indiana :beer:
jriedel
hunter

Postby bigmonty » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:25 pm

Forgot to tell you mysticwolf... I also got a hen Ruddy Duck earlier this year. I am pretty sure Hurricane Sandy blew her in from the east coast line. I never would have thought a Ruddy would be possible around here!
bigmonty
hunter

Postby Dbishop311 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:14 pm

Nothing a duck hunter hates more than another duck hunter :wink:
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby Blindedheart212 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:48 pm

Dbishop311 wrote:Nothing a duck hunter hates more than another duck hunter :wink:

Agreed. We all want to bag more than the other for bragging rights lol. At this point, I'd be happy to bag one ROFL.
Blindedheart212
hunter

Postby mysticwolf » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:22 am

bigmonty wrote:Forgot to tell you mysticwolf... I also got a hen Ruddy Duck earlier this year. I am pretty sure Hurricane Sandy blew her in from the east coast line. I never would have thought a Ruddy would be possible around here!

Good job :thumbsup: I was hoping to see some of those ducks myself, I kind of figured that Sandy would have blown some in somewhere in Indiana, just wish we would have seen some up north.
mysticwolf
hunter

Postby bigmonty » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:26 am

MysticWolf... Actually I am up north... I live in the Rochester area off highway 31. I was hunting Lake Manitou at the time that happened. I have never see this lake go stale but, it has too much pressure and no new birds.
bigmonty
hunter

Postby badbowtie » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:04 pm

bigmonty wrote:Forgot to tell you mysticwolf... I also got a hen Ruddy Duck earlier this year. I am pretty sure Hurricane Sandy blew her in from the east coast line. I never would have thought a Ruddy would be possible around here!

Shot one a few years back on the Ohio River. Thought it was odd myself. Saw a few this year or a un-huntable NWR.
badbowtie
State Moderator

Postby max4getem » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:35 pm

How come no one seems to get a long on this damn site. Jesus Christ there are millions of ducks and everyone acts like they are chasing the only duck in the sky......
max4getem
hunter

Postby mysticwolf » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:21 am

max4getem wrote:How come no one seems to get a long on this damn site. Jesus Christ there are millions of ducks and everyone acts like they are chasing the only duck in the sky......

I was thinking the same thing, all I ask was , is anyone seeing any ducks, and I get my crap jumped on like I was gonna take some ones hunting spot, Just wanted to know if we were the only ones not seeing any, And BTW, We are still NOT seeing any, I know duck is out for now, but we still went goose hunting, seen 6 ducks all day, this stinks, hope this cold front moving in will bring some birds down for the weekend, and the reat of the season :sad:
mysticwolf
hunter

Postby jriedel » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:23 pm

I got lucky enough to hit a flooded timber hunt right off the ohio over by lousiville, Saw a few woodies 15-25 and only two greenheads. Was my first time on that spot and if i were to guess they were locals too. I will be driving up to Wisconsin this weekend, I will try to report what I am seeing on my drive up. From what i hear they got 14" some places up north but all of the rain last weekend did away with that.

I guess that means no ice fishing for me and pops this weekend :no: :help:
jriedel
hunter

Postby mysticwolf » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:42 pm

Well, with this cold front moving in this weekend ( starting Friday ) just maybe it will start the push down, I did see around 50-75 ducks tonight just before dark going into a corn field, I was driving, not hunting :mad: So with any luck at all, we will see some this weekend. I will post what I see.
mysticwolf
hunter

Postby badbowtie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:01 pm

Headed out Friday myself. Hopefully it picks back up. Will report what I see.
badbowtie
State Moderator

Postby bigmonty » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:56 am

I hope we all start seeing ducks. As the last few years have been proving more and more to me we need to push our season back about a month.
bigmonty
hunter

Postby mysticwolf » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:09 am

bigmonty wrote:I hope we all start seeing ducks. As the last few years have been proving more and more to me we need to push our season back about a month.

Me and my Buddy have talked about that for about 5 years now, but if they did that here, it would hurt us because the lakes would be froze over by the time season ended, but at the beginning of season, we would see a lot more ducks and geese. We see all kinds of geese in town, there are about 4-5,000 geese on all the ponds around now, that hurts us to, every time the is a new housing addtion put in, they build retention ponds, and they fill up with ducks and geese :mad:
mysticwolf
hunter

Postby beperry1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Dnr put it to us this year...season starting November 3rd...***?

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk HD
beperry1
hunter

Postby bigmonty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:33 am

The late season adds many benefits. If you can find open water you are bound to get some birds. Also, don't be afraid of the black tarp on the ice. It works!
bigmonty
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting