Duck Hunting Forum banner

Over water Vs field

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Dbishop311 
#1 ·
Hey guys its opinion time. What do you think is the best kind of hunting? Duck or goose? Lying in your layout or being hidden in the reeds or maybe being tucked up next to a flooded oak tree.

Just wanted to start a general discussion for some of the newbies as well as gain some insight on what people feel is the best way to hunt waterfowl.

Myself I prefer to find a nice field and drop honnkers all day long, but thats morstly due to the fact I can't blow a duck call for crap.

#2 ·
Never field hunted, wanted to try it, but We got to much invested in hunting water to buy anything new for fied hunting, We do both at the same time, normally kiil ducks in the early mornings, from 1/2 hour before sun rise for about an hour, to an hour and a half, then nothing till around 9:30-10;30 then the geese normally come in, But it dont always happen that way, we have killed geese at the same time we kill ducks, but this year has been a bad one for us, havent seen many birds at all, hoping that the second part of season gets better. But from what I have heard in shots in the mornings, fied hunting is much better, I know the shots are coming from the fields and not the lakes, cause I know where all the lake lay and where the shots are coming from, and they are not from the lakes.

#3 ·
I do all these hunting styles and each one has its benefits! Hiding in the reeds is my most popular style. It is a blast watching the birds work your decoys...

Out of the layout blind in the field... Well what can I say who doesn't love having birds literally on your face... Easy picking when they commit to your field and decoys. It does take a lot of scouting to get this right and you never know if the birds will still come.

Flooded Timber - This is a style many people will never get a chance at! There is nothing like it. Standing in a flooding woods 20,000 acres deep! Look it up Bayou Meto in Arkansas. I go every year. It all starts with a boat race down a narrow channel. YouTube "Bayou Meto Boat Race" you will won't believe it! Then standing in the timber kicking water and calling at 50-75 Mallards circling your treetops. Then, commit to your area and drop right through the trees! Absolutely beautiful then shooting the lips off of em...

#5 ·
The birds never have an opportunity to swim 6 feet from my boat :grooving:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.