new guy.. no luck

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: northzoneguy, nitrousneil, badbowtie

new guy.. no luck

Postby woodieright » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:24 am

hello from columbus/hope area

i have always wanted to try my hand at duck hunting, so this year i decided to just do it, first time out i hunted a small pond i have been going to almost everyweeked in the middle of a wheat field, i brought in a few flocks of candians, i had no decoys and hardly any camo at the time, the flocks came awefully close to me and were about to land in my pond and then they saw me and got spooked. in retrospect a few were most likely close enough to get but being green i didnt get a shot off.

since then i have added a dozen mallard decoys and have chest waders and full camo. but haven't seen a bird since.
hunt mostly eastern bartholomew county, even though i havent gotten anything and started mid season i know i just need to be persistent and keep trying, i am still having a good time, even with no birds hopefully it will start looking up going into the last few weeks of duck season!
woodieright
Newb

Re: new guy.. no luck

Postby bigmonty » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:40 am

Hi, Well I will give you a little information here. Hunting small ponds can be rewarding at times. The issue is you will pressure them way to much and they will not come back.There are 3 things that make the birds migrate... Lack of Food, To much hunting pressure, and the cold weather freezing everything up...

A very good tool at learning how to hunt is find some ducks at your local lake and listen to them and sounds they make. Try to replicate them on your calls. Another rookie mistake is over calling the ducks. ONLY CALL AT WING TIPS AND TAIL FEATHERS! Sometimes the best call to use is none at all. RNT makes some very nice intro DVD's on how to call and make quacks.

Get out there and scout them out... Scout work usually turns into birds to kill.... Also don't be afraid to check them ditches out.

I hope this helps you out... If you have more questions hit me up!
bigmonty
hunter

Re: new guy.. no luck

Postby woodieright » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:50 am

thanks bigmonty, when i get free time i go drive around my little corner of the world, havent seen any ducks but have seen some geese flying around every now and then pretty sure they are locals, havent seen any the past week, i have access to a bunch of farmland with creeks running through them and a few ponds, i check a few irrigation ditches a few days ago it was late in the afternoon.

and yes i may be calling too much i have been keeping my duck and goose call in my truck practicing while going from jobsite to jobsite. work is starting to get really swamped so dont have much time the remainder of the season next season i am planning on doing alot more scouting and hunting, scouting before season so i am prepared just kind of jumped into this year
woodieright
Newb

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting