New to site, plus info on goose pond/Stillwater!!!

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: nitrousneil, badbowtie, northzoneguy

New to site, plus info on goose pond/Stillwater!!!

Postby Greenheadindy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:16 pm

Hey everyone. i found this site while checking on the dnr counts/trying to decide where to hunt tomorrow. Like a lot of people here, I'm limited to public ground for now. I called goose pond and they said they had a small push of new birds, but nothing spectacular. She said there's about 1500 birds holding there now. I've hunted it several times with mixed results, so gonna skip that option. Stillwater guy said there's fresh birds, but I've never hunted there and haven't had time to scout, so gonna skip that one too. Atterberry guy basically told me not to waste my time- no birds. Have a decent public spot that nobody else is willing to hike to, but I've never hunted there this late so not sure what to expect. Shot mallards, gadwalls, and woodies there the only other time I hunted it this year, but it's shallow and probably iced over a couple of nights recently. Torn between that and getting my boat out and hunting Greene/Sullivan or main body of monroe.

Anyway, looks like a nice site with knowledgable people. I promise to never cyber-scout, or ask for spots. I do have a boat (14 foot with 15 hp motor), lots of decoys, good (IMO!) at calling. Hate sky busters/people that set up on top of you. If anyone ever wants to hunt, shoot me a pm. Most of my duck hunting partners have been married off and are raising kids, so always open to going with new people. Willing to travel anywhere, or show you the few spots I know. Ok, I may keep the one secret until I know you and trust you won't show other people!
Nice marmot
Greenheadindy
hunter

Re: New to site, plus info on goose pond/Stillwater!!!

Postby Dave63 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:06 pm

There are some around the G/S area. Not a bunch yet. Minnie is holding a few, too. Never done the goose pond thing. :welcome:
Dave63
hunter

Re: New to site, plus info on goose pond/Stillwater!!!

Postby Greenheadindy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:27 pm

Well, I chose wrong. Saw about 15 ducks all morning, all looked like leftover woodies. Few landed out of range, so never got a shot. No sign of any migrators. Actually had to break some ice, which surprised me a bit. Hope to get a bird or two next time, but still had fun.
Nice marmot
Greenheadindy
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting