They're coming back this way

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: badbowtie, northzoneguy, nitrousneil

They're coming back this way

Postby Greenheadindy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:59 pm

Watched a small pond last night fill up with about 150 mallards, maybe 20 ringers and a couple gadwall. The geese were there too, even saw one with the grey eyebrow. Fun to watch, but makes me wish it was season. Oh well, if it ever warms up I guess we can kill time fishing. Anyone else notice good numbers coming through?
Nice marmot
Greenheadindy
hunter

Re: They're coming back this way

Postby goosehappy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:22 pm

I went out last week to our local duck marsh and saw hundreds of ringnecks, tons of mallards, gadwalls, widgeon, a few redheads, some goldeneye, buffs,some woodies, pintail, geese and even a half dozen swans. This weather makes me think it is still season, but that it is not makes the weather all the harder to endure. September seems so far away! I'm not so sure these birds ever left after January, when we finally got a good migration down here.
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Postby Dbishop311 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:22 pm

The birds never left here. Ducks and geese on the lake by my house every day. Does make me want to take a boat ride this weekend and see whats around.
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:24 pm

To day was one of the reverse push days. The lake att hunt club was stacked up with divers. Goldeneye, bluebills, and canvasbacks were all rafter up. By noon they were all gone.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:27 pm

Oops. Wrong state. Hello neighbors.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby footloose.45 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:13 pm

the corn field across the street from my house has been flooded for the past few months. day after day there has been large number of ducks and geese coming and going. i had the spotting scope out a few times and saw mallards,geese, teal (blue and green), widgeon, pintail, coot, and spoonies. went out in the boat on the white river last weekend and ran across quite a few mallards and woodies also saw a pair of ringnecks and a pair of buffleheads. I have seen more species on the flooded corn then i saw all hunting season. somethings not right about that.
footloose.45
hunter

Postby Greenheadindy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:21 pm

footloose.45 wrote:the corn field across the street from my house has been flooded for the past few months. day after day there has been large number of ducks and geese coming and going. i had the spotting scope out a few times and saw mallards,geese, teal (blue and green), widgeon, pintail, coot, and spoonies. went out in the boat on the white river last weekend and ran across quite a few mallards and woodies also saw a pair of ringnecks and a pair of buffleheads. I have seen more species on the flooded corn then i saw all hunting season. somethings not right about that.

It is frustrating to see them all now, bc all my hunting spots froze up quick last year and I didn't get out much. Maybe this season we'll get weather at the right times and see the variety that's here now when it's legal to take them! I was out on white river too this weekend and the woodies/mallards were thick. Even had a dead drake mallard float past us- was in perfect shape and looked like it had only been dead for a few minutes. No idea what happened, maybe got hit by a boat or got into a fight w another duck. I'm sure he's turtle food now. I'd be lying if I said I didn't check for a band before letting him float by.
Nice marmot
Greenheadindy
hunter

Postby footloose.45 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:38 am

Greenheadindy wrote:
footloose.45 wrote:the corn field across the street from my house has been flooded for the past few months. day after day there has been large number of ducks and geese coming and going. i had the spotting scope out a few times and saw mallards,geese, teal (blue and green), widgeon, pintail, coot, and spoonies. went out in the boat on the white river last weekend and ran across quite a few mallards and woodies also saw a pair of ringnecks and a pair of buffleheads. I have seen more species on the flooded corn then i saw all hunting season. somethings not right about that.

It is frustrating to see them all now, bc all my hunting spots froze up quick last year and I didn't get out much. Maybe this season we'll get weather at the right times and see the variety that's here now when it's legal to take them! I was out on white river too this weekend and the woodies/mallards were thick. Even had a dead drake mallard float past us- was in perfect shape and looked like it had only been dead for a few minutes. No idea what happened, maybe got hit by a boat or got into a fight w another duck. I'm sure he's turtle food now. I'd be lying if I said I didn't check for a band before letting him float by.

this made me laugh as i was reading because i was thinking you just let it float by and didnt check it out????? but then the honsety came out at the end. we got into a couple tight spots on the river trying to fight the current and a few really shallow parts but it was a good ride and there were quite a few people out on the river i was suprised.
footloose.45
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting