Boat Motor Opinion's

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: nitrousneil, badbowtie, northzoneguy

Boat Motor Opinion's

Postby mikebenghp » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:22 pm

I am thinking of buying a new or new-to-me motor. The 1980 Chrysler 4hp has served its' purpose well but I want something newer and just a little bigger. Generally, I run less than three miles total per day of hunting. I am thinking a Mercury 9.9 or 15 short shaft will be plenty. The boat is an old 15'6" aluminum semi-v boat (15inch transom) weighing roughly 600lbs.

Would you go with a brand new motor or look around for a used one?

2-stroke or 4 stroke?

Does anyone have opinions about which manufacturers to avoid or lean towards?

Thanks in advance.

On a completely unrelated note, is anyone interested in buying a 1980 Chrysler 4hp?
mikebenghp
hunter

Re: Boat Motor Opinion's

Postby Greenheadindy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:41 am

I have a 15hp short shaft Yamaha and couldn't be happier with it. Use it on a 14 foot aluminum v-hull and it's plenty. I think 2 strokes are a better choice in small hp when you don't run lots of miles.
Nice marmot
Greenheadindy
hunter

Postby alhersch » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:38 am

I have bought several used motors and I am not scared of buying used. I am very skeptical when I go look at one to purchase however! I check compression with all plugs removed, I also look at the plugs to see how they have been running, I look for wear and tear, I like a motor that appears to have been taken care of, I always want to hear it running and really like to take it for a ride before i commit, the bottom of the motor will tell you if it has been used on a river and had the snot beat out of the lower unit(doesn't always mean mechanical failure). I have a 93 15hp and a 88 25hp, both are Johnson and both are very good shape for their year. My brother had an 85 Johnson 15hp that I used for several years. My dad has a 68 15hp Johnson I used to use before I bought my own boat(why buy one when I can use one), the darn thing runs like a top but looks like crap!!! So you can't judge a book by it's cover in all bookshelves...

I'm not saying Johnson is what you should buy, it's just what I have used. LOL When I look for a motor I tend to look for something in the 80's and late 90's as I believe those motors were built a lot better then some of newer models. As do most of the folks on boating and outboard motor forums.

I don't own or have ever owned a 4-stroke outboard so I wouldn't know the pro's and con's between them. I do know with the crappy gas we have now-days, I use sea-foam and marine ethanol treatment in every tank with little extra oil!

If your anywhere close to Kokomo you are welcome to try my 15hp to see how you would like a 15hp motor.

Al
alhersch
hunter

Postby badbowtie » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:53 am

I have has serveral Merc and a Yamaha. I had a 7.5, 9.9, and 25 Merc. I also had a 40 Yam 2 Stroke 3 cyl. I really liked that motor until I moved to mud motor.

Get biggest motor you can afford/boat will allow.
badbowtie
State Moderator

Postby indnplsguy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:03 pm

Put a mud motor on that thing and go anywhere you want to! Over the last five years, we have had a 29hp longtail, a 35hp short drive and are now rocking a 45hp Black Death short drive. Between the three, they have been bullet proof outside of replacing a prop every couple of years.
indnplsguy
Newb

Postby SDMF » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:59 am

badbowtie wrote:I have has serveral Merc and a Yamaha. I had a 7.5, 9.9, and 25 Merc. I also had a 40 Yam 2 Stroke 3 cyl. I really liked that motor until I moved to mud motor.

Get biggest motor you can afford/boat will allow.

X2! I have an 87' merc 20 that runs like a champ also used to have a 6hp from the same yr. Great motors! I just picked up a Yammie 40 for my boat. Also made in 1987... :thumbsup: all three are 2 strokes. Personally I don't think i will ever get a 4 stroke motor. The ones I've seen don't seem to like the cold.. just my 2 cents
Team Rasputin: NEVER SAY DIE
SDMF
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting