Relocation to Indiana from Kansas???

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: badbowtie, northzoneguy, nitrousneil

Relocation to Indiana from Kansas???

Postby thart » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:36 am

I am considering a relocation to Indiana from Kansas. Probably would move NE of Indianapolis around Muncie. Can you give me any idea on what to expect for duck/goose hunting and fishing/boating? Off the subject but Schools?

I hunt with waders in a marsh with my son in Kansas and enjoy boating/fishing with my family. The hunting area is public and is open without a reservation system. Gets crowded at times but can always find a place to hunt. The fishing is great for walleyes, wipers, crappies, etc. and isn't too crowded if I get away from Kansas city. Typically drive 60 - 80 miles to fish and 45 to hunt.

Thanks.
thart
Newb

Postby thart » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:12 am

From the lack of response I guess I can conclude that the hunting is either extremely great and you are trying to keep it a secret or that it is really not that great and you don't really have anything to say. Interestingly enough I received more feedback from a fishing website than this one. Quite contrary to what one would expect.

From what I can tell is:

Its best to have a jon boat to hunt the rivers,
The FWA are crowded and use a draw system similar to Missouri,
Duck numbers don't really build up much (several posts talking about seeing 500 - 1000 ducks and it being a good day),

Very disappointing.

Thanks.
thart
Newb

Postby surf_ox » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:50 am

there are a few regular posters on this indiana section of this website.....

most of us are around southwestern indiana....

being a transplant from eastern virginia myself....i can definitely say i had to alter the way i waterfowl hunt when i moved out here.....

birds are spotty around here....usually lots of them in feb though.... :laughing:

good luck with your relocation....might also want to post in the ohio section.....i don't think birds follow state lines yet ... do they???
Is a frustrated hunter swinging a canoe paddle after sunset at a fall teal breaking any laws?
surf_ox
hunter

Postby e'villeduck » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:29 pm

Sorry about the silent treatment. I usually don't venture up north much. Typically just hunt around the Evansville area and rivers near by. I can tell you that people do waterfowl hunt around Indy and Muncie just from rumors and stories I've heard. I've heard they do shoot some geese around there.
Time is of the essence, don't waste it.
e'villeduck
hunter

Postby hoosier dhr » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:43 pm

There are a couple of good public hunting areas a little ways north of muncie (east of Peru)
I would just get an IN Gazeteer and find all the lake and river boat launches, you can hunt any water with a public launch in IN.
When you get here you can meet some farmers and other hunters and get on some feilds.
I live in nort central IN near the MI line and we have pretty good hunting here. Right now there are so many birds here that showed up about a week after the season opened, but we got a good number of locals early. Well, good luck on the move. :salude:
leave it better than you found it!!!
Go Canes
hoosier dhr
hunter

Postby saveaduckkillaskybuster » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:25 pm

moving here from kansas....good luck...alot of people here try to duck hunt, but there are more idots than there are people who really know how to hunt and respect the birds. a big problem here is people killing hens and shooting at duck and geese that are specs in the sky....keep in good contact with the people back in kansas
saveaduckkillaskybuster
Newb

Postby daffydead » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:44 pm

the west side of indiana is probably better for birds, I live on the east side and it's spotty, I moved from the north west side and the hunting is much better there, I have meet guy's from indy who drive up there to hunt the north zone
if your gonna shoot at it, shoot it dead!
daffydead
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting