Hovey Lake thread

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: northzoneguy, nitrousneil, badbowtie

Re: Hovey Lake thread

Postby badbowtie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:03 am

All birds have left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
badbowtie
State Moderator

Postby motoking_1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:59 pm

Same up here

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk
motoking_1990
hunter

Postby motoking_1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:02 pm

I live around terre haute

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk
motoking_1990
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:56 pm

Any status on the lake and whether or not there are birds around? I heard the lake was open and water levels are up. Any advice on hunting the river?
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby badbowtie » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:14 pm

Water I way up lake is deeeeep. River is dropping and lake will begin to freeze soon with next week temps. Birds are few and far between. Especially since all rivers down here are out of their banks.

badbowtie
State Moderator

Postby Black Smoke » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:00 pm

River or lake for the weekend? Will you be hunting the lake this weekend Bowtie? I will be going down Friday afternoon or early saturday morning to hunt. Any advice? Are there mainly mallards down there or are there any divers? Do you shoot many geese off of the lake?
Black Smoke
hunter

Hovey Lake thread

Postby badbowtie » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:06 pm

Black Smoke wrote:River or lake for the weekend? Will you be hunting the lake this weekend Bowtie? I will be going down Friday afternoon or early saturday morning to hunt. Any advice? Are there mainly mallards down there or are there any divers?

Do you shoot many geese off of the lake?

Haven't hunted lake in a while since we have flood water. Mostly puddle ducks but they do see some divers. If you are going for the draw make sure you are at the office before 4:30 cst.
They shoot a few geese but we just don't get the geese anymore like it used to be.

badbowtie
State Moderator

Postby Black Smoke » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:28 pm

so what would be your best take on decoys to use? Also, if I were to hunt the river what would you say spread wise? Bigger is better or small?
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby badbowtie » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:08 pm

You wont be on the river its still too high. puddle duck decoys are best lake should still be up a bit too.
badbowtie
State Moderator

Postby Black Smoke » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:09 pm

Were you out on the lake this past weekend?
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby badbowtie » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:23 pm

Black Smoke wrote:Were you out on the lake this past weekend?

Nope hunted flood water right before it dropped out. Did you hunt the lake?

badbowtie
State Moderator

Postby Black Smoke » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:07 am

Ya we did on Saturday and did really good. Some guys told me that they don't shoot many canadas down there and we saw ten and dropped 7 haha Have you been doing good? Also, some shady people hunt that lake we were hunting saturday and had a decoy drifting out in front of us and a group with a Lund boat and Merc motor came in front of us and went to pick the decoy up and didn't miss it once but twice then stole it?! Really?!!!! I don't even care about the decoy its just the fact of the matter that they were 75 yards in front of us while birds were trying to work and they missed picking it up twice then took it. Any idea who it is? Just send my regards if you do. I can't help that we drove 6 hours through the night to hunt and did better than them when we had no clue what we were getting into. Anyway, we will be visiting again next year had a great time besides that stunt.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby badbowtie » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:22 am

Yea gotta watch people down there sometimes. Glad ya did good. Yea normally they sit shoot Canada's but this year we actually have some. Hey send me a pm.

badbowtie
State Moderator

Postby Dbishop311 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:04 am

Thats public land for ya :fingerhead:
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:41 am

Black Smoke wrote:Ya we did on Saturday and did really good. Some guys told me that they don't shoot many canadas down there and we saw ten and dropped 7 haha Have you been doing good? Also, some shady people hunt that lake we were hunting saturday and had a decoy drifting out in front of us and a group with a Lund boat and Merc motor came in front of us and went to pick the decoy up and didn't miss it once but twice then stole it?! Really?!!!! I don't even care about the decoy its just the fact of the matter that they were 75 yards in front of us while birds were trying to work and they missed picking it up twice then took it. Any idea who it is? Just send my regards if you do. I can't help that we drove 6 hours through the night to hunt and did better than them when we had no clue what we were getting into. Anyway, we will be visiting again next year had a great time besides that stunt.

You had a list of all guys in you area why didn't you ask the office?
was it a big Lund 18' Olive brownish? with a big merc ? like a 90 or 115? Ive seen that boat around before they are locals... I run a 16 lund with a old skool camo paint painted motor.... If you killed geese on main lake u did good.... last day down there was a boat running what looked to be 6-8 Dozen goose floaters screw that work....
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:09 am

HAHA ya it was a lund olive brown black merc and that could've been us with the goose floaters we only have 2 1/2 dz out though might not have been us but on the sunny day we couldn't keep the ducks out of them. Yeah I should've said something to the officer but with us not being from around there I didn't want to stir up some crap over a decoy it's ok.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby mudman692566 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:08 am

There are too many other good places to hunt, especially when water is out, to fool with Hovey Lake. 10mph speed limit is a joke, it's an all out race, run what you brung attitude at 4:30 in the morning. Been side swiped twice at the ramp heading out. Piss on that. While the majority of the guys there are stand up guys there are a few duck dynasty wanabees that through caution to the wind and put others lives and property at risk. I go hunting for enjoyment not to deal with stupidity, if I wanted to deal with stupid I'd sleep in, save time and money and just go to Walmart.
mudman692566
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:16 pm

Man I cannot agree with you anymore I didn't realize it was a race to the launch. Then when we get there some of the groups have more people than what they are supposed to have and they already have their boats in the water :no: :huh:
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby badbowtie » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:57 pm

Black Smoke wrote:Man I cannot agree with you anymore I didn't realize it was a race to the launch. Then when we get there some of the groups have more people than what they are supposed to have and they already have their boats in the water :no: :huh:

You think thats bad! When they had the office by the launch it was worse!
badbowtie
State Moderator

Postby Black Smoke » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:36 am

Yeah definitely need to monitor that place a little IMO.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby hunteatfish » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:11 pm

Got number 4 pick on Nov.2, does anyone if the marsh was planted?
sometimes you're the dog; sometimes you're the hydrant
hunteatfish
Newb

Postby badbowtie » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:58 pm

Main marsh was not. Some
Smaller ones away from lake may have been but don't count on it.

badbowtie
State Moderator

Postby Black Smoke » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:59 am

I got #8 pick on Dec. 30th this year. So I think that I will be down there for at least a week this year.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby phil » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:45 pm

Do you expect ice that late in season? If so, are there fields you can switch to?
phil
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:59 pm

Well I think it just depends because I was down that way last year in January and there wasn't any ice but left the day the big storm hit up north. I believe it froze up after that...? I don't know about fields though because I live 6 hours from Hovey Lake and I would only bring either my boat or my trailer.
Black Smoke
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting