Crane Naval Base

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: northzoneguy, nitrousneil, badbowtie

Crane Naval Base

Postby cl124 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:18 am

Hey guys I am new to this site and relatively new to duck hunting. long story short i have a friend who is an engineer at crane naval base and he has set up for us to go duck hunting this saturday. He has never been duck hunting and doesn't know much of anything about it. I'm trying to figure out some info on what I will be getting into. Good spots? is it a draw hunt? will i be able to hunt from the ground or need a boat blind? etc. Anyone with any info/help at all would be much appreciated!
cl124
hunter

Re: Crane Naval Base

Postby Greenheadindy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:47 am

Far as I know, it's not a public draw and you have to know somebody to get in there. Never heard of anyone duck hunting there, so I can't help you with specifics. I think there's a good size lake on the north end, so not sure if they have any blinds on it or not. If not, I would think a boat blind would be in order. Post up how it went, I'd like to hear about it.
I'm shomer shabbos.
Greenheadindy
hunter

Postby boomer4483 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:41 pm

The best place to hunt is on the south end. Since you will be there as a guest you won't have access to it. Greenwood lake is open to guest. You will need a boat with either a blind or the other option is to set decoys and ditch the boat and take a good dog. Either way you will have to have a boat to access hunting location. There are fence post drove in each hunting area marking locations. The good side is that there shouldn't be any pressure, 97% chance you will have the lake to yourself. The downside, not very many birds! Good luck.
boomer4483
hunter

Postby cl124 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:06 pm

thanks boomer! Since i am going with an employee and have all our paperwork cleared will we be able to hunt the south end or still not? Also any recomendation on a number of an area to hunt? I have a boat just havent gotten around to building a blind for it yet. Debating rather to gather up a bunch of brush and hide in the boat or hide the boat off to the side and hunt from the bank.
cl124
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting