Reserve hunt on Thursday

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: northzoneguy, nitrousneil, badbowtie

Reserve hunt on Thursday

Postby Greenheadindy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:49 pm

For the first time ever, I drew a reserve pick. #7 at goose pond for this Thursday and Friday. Don't have real high hopes, but nice to know we have a good pick. Hopefully the birds are down and the water is open. If anyone else will be there, say hello. I'll be w my girlfriend, so we'll be easy to spot. Anyone have luck there this year? I've never done great there, but haven't ever had a good pick.
Nice marmot
Greenheadindy
hunter

Re: Reserve hunt on Thursday

Postby jordan11bhoosier » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:05 pm

I hunted there this past weekend and killed 9. Lots of gadwalls and shovelers,teal and woodies.I saw lots of birds but in my opinion they are decoy and call shy. My advice would be to either pack as many decoys as you can and i do mean like 100 and just fill up a waterhole or only take like half a dozen on a jerk cord.
jordan11bhoosier
hunter

Postby oscar67 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:36 am

been hearing some people doing pretty good there lately. can not imagine much better timeing with this front coming in now! good luck
oscar67
hunter

Postby wbower » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:24 am

I'll be there as well on Thursday. I hunted there yesterday, birds flew real well right at daylight and then just quit. Didn't see a bird in the sky for 3 hrs following.
wbower
hunter

Postby Greenheadindy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:11 am

I don't know about 100 decoys with some of the walks out there, but a jerk cord is probably a good call. I hope we can make good use of our pick and get a few, been tough the last few hunts. It's a group c hunt, which I've never done before, but guess there's only one way to learn. Good luck all.
Nice marmot
Greenheadindy
hunter

Postby mikebenghp » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:02 pm

Going by what I've seen up here in northern Indiana I would only take a handful of decoys. Jerk rig if the wind is down. You guys should get a decent push with the front this coming Sunday/Monday.
mikebenghp
hunter

Postby jordan11bhoosier » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:48 pm

Just wondering how you did? Went there today and killed 13 between 3 guys
jordan11bhoosier
hunter

Postby Greenheadindy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:24 am

jordan11bhoosier wrote:Just wondering how you did? Went there today and killed 13 between 3 guys

Nice work. What kind of birds? We did fairly well, 11 in the 2 days. Missed a few we should have had. Gadwalls and a few spoonies, couldn't buy a greenhead. We did much better on Thursday, which was a bit surprising since we moved on Friday to where we had seen a bunch of birds landing thurs. They never showed back up on Friday, but was still a fun hunt.
Nice marmot
Greenheadindy
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting