Southern Indiana Waterfowl?

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: badbowtie, northzoneguy, nitrousneil

Postby BlakePhelps » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:10 pm

So I posted a topic in the Honey Hole before I found this part of the Forum. I'm new if you can't tell. But I want to know if anybody knows of some good spots near Bloomington (I'm a student at IU) that are worth the time and effort to hunt. I've researched a few different lakes including Monroe, Lemon, etc... but don't have a way to physically go to these lakes. Could someone help me out? Please?
BlakePhelps
hunter

Re: Southern Indiana Waterfowl?

Postby oscar67 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:46 am

dont take this wrong , but the worst way a new waterfowler can start out is by asking for someone to tell them thier hard earned [good spots]
you need to do some scouting in the areas you mentioned . get a pair of good bino's and put in some windshield time.
i work 40-64hrs a week and have a family to tend to but still work in time to scout .
if you are willing to put in the effort ,wont be long and you will meet fellow waterfowlers that might share a little .
jion waterfowlers organization ,delta,Du,waterfowl USA.
good luck and be safe
oscar67
hunter

Postby hankyorke » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:42 am

If you can't get anywhere to scout how do you plan to get there to hunt?
hankyorke
hunter

Postby mikebenghp » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:25 pm

Hank brings up a valid point. If you don't get out and scout you have a couple big issues. 1.) Safety. It is not wise to go out in the dark to a place you know absolutely nothing about if you can avoid it. 2.) You will be "shooting in the dark" as far as getting under birds. That being said, if you can't scout use your hunts as scouting trips. It's not ideal but its better than nothing.

Also, "good" hunting spots are in short supply and crowded in Indiana so don't expect anyone to give you specific information until they get to know you. I don't hunt that area but I have hunted different areas in the state. My method was to get on google maps, find a spot that looked good. Google "where to fish in Indiana." That'll bring up a map from Indiana of all public access sites in Indiana. I'd then see if there was a public launch where I wanted to go. If there was I would then google and call/email my distric CO office to determine whether what I was looking at was legal for hunting. This has worked out very well for me for several years.

Also, county plat books/online resources to get permission to hunt on private fields. But this requires scouting too.

Good luck to you.
mikebenghp
hunter

Postby BlakePhelps » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:05 pm

When I refered to "good spots" I just meant a like a public lake that holds birds. I hunt a pair of lakes up north that hold birds but to find where the birds are landing would require scouting. Which I would do if I only knew of one or two different lakes down south to go to. I just thought I'd use this as a resource and see if anyone would help. But so far its only backfired and has made me look like an rookie duck hunter. I'm used to hunting public lakes, its hard, crowded, and requires you to get up many many hours before shooting light in order to get in a spot before someone else. I'm also a member of DU. I know Purdue has a huge DU program on campus but IU isn't involved with Agriculture like Purdue so there isn't a program for the school itself. Thanks for the imput. I just might have to finds home in order to hunt. I'll be home this weekend for deer season but depending on the weather and amount of ducks in the area, I might just skip out on deer hunting cause I'd much rather pursue greenheads than a deer. But thats just me!
BlakePhelps
hunter

Postby oscar67 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:01 pm

May have been just a poor choice of words to start with (good spots) but i would not say it back fired . A few have offered good advice to you . I you will get to know some ,after awhile (as stated) you maybe invited to a hunt or pick up some pointers for different areas.
Many other waterfowl sites i have been on would have a feeding frienzy on you're original post. I don't agree with this so i offered some advice to help you avoid a harsh response later.

duck addiction!!!
oscar67
hunter

Postby BlakePhelps » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:28 am

The other post that I posted in the honey hole has started a stir. I've learned that it is naive to post something like this. I guess we all learn from our mistakes. But thank you for the advice
BlakePhelps
hunter

Postby phil » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:17 am

No real harm done! You have figured out the rules of this place rather quickly. If you find a honey hole, don't share too much information about it, or you may be sentenced to a severe lashing, and when you show up to hunt it next time, you will be joined by 17 other "duck dynasty" parties. I live up in your original neck of the woods, so I can't help you too much with Southern Indiana. Here is what I know: Monroe has a draw, you would be best driving down one day, or calling the check in station and talk to the guys there for details. Also, you can find public access sights to Indiana Rivers online. If its navigable and not inside city limits, or an area that is under some state or Federal Preserve rule, it is most likely ok to hunt. You can check with DNR if you have questions about that. Water levels and weather will determine how productive the river hunts will be. If you don't have a boat, deeks, etc., try to find someone around the area that will let you join them for a hunt. Be respectful, carry your weight plus a little and you may get invited back. Good luck with school, and safe hunting.
phil
hunter

Postby oscar67 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:52 am

Well said .
I am from southwest indiana and might occasionally be solo so keep in touch and good luck

duck addiction!!!
oscar67
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:41 am

He don't even have transportation? so in short he was looking for someone to come pick him up take him scouting then take him hunting?
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby BlakePhelps » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:49 pm

Not true at all, Javelin. And it would be, "He doesn't" not, "He don't". I was just trying to get some help.
BlakePhelps
hunter

Postby hankyorke » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:47 pm

So you do have transportation?
hankyorke
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:03 am

BlakePhelps wrote:Not true at all, Javelin. And it would be, "He doesn't" not, "He don't". I was just trying to get some help.

I could quote your statement from the other thread you started but it isn't worth digging it up, Internet scouting is not
looked upon highly. google earth them... Then go... You wouldn't tell us a place within 5 miles of your spots. Public land is easy enough to find use your head college kid...
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby BlakePhelps » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:30 pm

I know this now. I did not before I posted this. I'm pretty sure that I've made that apparent in both posts.
BlakePhelps
hunter

Postby Dbishop311 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:36 pm

Duck Dynasty strikes again! That show will put an end to duck hunting.
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby Jethro48 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:35 pm

I hear ya Dbishop Im wondering what this year's crop of duck dynasty idiots will bring!! Its almost entertaining from a distance at times!! Other than I'm not sure if they make the ducks smarter or if they even get dumber!! Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Jethro48
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting