ATTN: Indiana Turkey Hunters

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: northzoneguy, nitrousneil, badbowtie

ATTN: Indiana Turkey Hunters

Postby badbowtie » Mon May 07, 2007 10:44 am

If you are like many hunters and believe that the Indiana Turkey season should come in earlier, you should contact the IDNR. I wrote them also stating that they should split Indiana up into sections kind of like the waterfowl zones. If you believe that Indiana should change their season dates, please contact the Idniana DNR. You can whine and cry about everything, but until someone takes initiative, nothing will change!

Here is the link to IDNR
http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild

I e-mailed this address: dfw@dnr.IN.gov

Thanks,
Nick
badbowtie
State Moderator

Postby chicobrownbear » Mon May 07, 2007 1:30 pm

I saw a tom down here tending hens at least a month before opening day.
chicobrownbear
hunter

Postby badbowtie » Mon May 07, 2007 2:27 pm

Thanks, Point proven.
badbowtie
State Moderator

Postby Breakfast Boy » Tue May 08, 2007 1:12 am

Well, this year I seen a tom in full strut with a hen almost a month before season. Yet last week while hunting, I heard ZERO gobbles but seen a tom chasing two hens and he was puffing up a little (not quite fully strutting).

Now, last year, I was knee deep in gobbling toms the first two weeks of season. Both a friend of mine and myself killed birds that ran full blast in on our calls/decoys.

So, has it just been a bad year due to weather or something? Or do the birds usually hit peak earlier in the month every year? From my experience, last year was perfect for Indiana's season. This year, it sucked.
"Minds are like parachutes...they work better when open."
Breakfast Boy
hunter

Postby badbowtie » Tue May 08, 2007 6:31 am

Well a big factor into this season was the very warm spell in early March. After that it got down into the 20's. I understand you cannot do anything about mother nature. But from my experience here in southern indiana about the beginning of april, toms will sound of to anything! Ex: Truck door slam, wistle, any call. I just think indiana need to section off their seasons like we do for waterfowl. My .02.
badbowtie
State Moderator

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting