waterfowl seasons

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: badbowtie, northzoneguy, nitrousneil

waterfowl seasons

Postby phil » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:19 pm

Does anyone know when we can expect to see this years season dates?
phil
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:20 pm

End of Aug begining of Sept.
"I Didn't Come This Far To Miss!"
ddragon47
hunter

Postby chicobrownbear » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:48 am

Early season is usually during the hottest part of the year, (after a bumper crop of mosquitoes hatch) when there are a ton of resident geese around that are using a field that you can't get permission to hunt. Mallards and Gadwall will frequently dip into your floating goose blocks and generally behave as though they took a short bus to your position. Two days after the early season closes there are more Teal on the water that you CAN hunt than you can count.

Then in early/mid October (depending on what zone you are in) the first duck season opens and there isn't a duck in sight.

At the end of October, after the first season of course, a huge flight of ducks comes down and you get to watch them with your binoculars.
They will remain on your spots until late November and then an episode of Without a Trace could be written about them.
chicobrownbear
hunter

Postby phil » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:14 pm

Thanks...That explains it all! LOL
phil
hunter

Postby chicobrownbear » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:23 am

I think its usually late July or early August when they get around to releasing the dates. I usually get an email alert from the DNR. I'll post it as soon as I get it.
chicobrownbear
hunter

Postby phil » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:48 pm

:thumbsup:
phil
hunter

Postby dec » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:54 am

Early season dates will be released around the first of August +/-. Chances are they will be the same that they have been for many years, meaning 1st thru 15 of Sept. for geese. Teal and dove are in there two, but are shortened by a day or two.

Regular season dates won't be out until later in August. The dates are always a split season, with last year's being different in format than many previous years. The season doesn't make sense to many, but if you scout and know how to hunt them, putting the hurt on ducks any morning isn't that difficult. It is hunting, some days they cooperate, others they don't, but seldom do we go out that we don't get into some birds. It is all about doing your homework.

I personally met with the State Waterfowl Biologist a few weeks ago. We had a long discussion about how the seasons are established. He said that he gets tons of complaints about the season structure, yet when the surveys on how the seasons should be structured are returned, they are always for split seasons as we have experienced in recent years. He said too many simply blow off the surveys or offer public comment, thinking that their voice does not matter, but it does matter. He is given X number of days to work with and uses them as the public tells him to from the survey and other input results indicate.

During our discussion we talked in great length about a late goose season (February) with liberal limits. He said that he is 100% in support for this, but it is tied up with the Flyway Counsel at this time. In addition, he said that there are some very positive changes for us as waterfowl hunters in the works, but he would not go into detail as to what they are until they are finalized.

Good things are coming for us waterfowl hunters. In the mean time, scout and hunt hard with what time we are given.
Derek Craig

New Day Outdoors Productions, Marsh Mutt, Drake Waterfowl Systems, DSD

Next time you go out hunting, consider taking a kid along. Our future is the greatest joy you will find this sport.
dec
hunter

Postby fhhunter1 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:23 pm

I know a lot of people like those early seasons but it really hurt cutting off both zone's seasons short. day after goose season was over we were covered up with both ducks and geese on the wabash here around lafayette. I'd like to see the south zone season go right up until the end of Jan.

Somebody please tell me what we have to do to get a Feb goose season. No doubt that would be some of the best hunting all year, especially if we get some more liberal limits.
fhhunter1
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:29 pm

fhhunter1 wrote:-------------------------------
Somebody please tell me what we have to do to get a Feb goose season. No doubt that would be some of the best hunting all year, especially if we get some more liberal limits.

To start with you need to let the DNR know your feelings . Attend the meetings and fill out any surveys you may receive . Let them know that you would be be willing to give up early days (Oct / Nov.) in exchange for late days. Keep in mind that any days after Jan. 31st would be considered a "special" season as Federal guidelines say regular season cannot extend past Jan.31. Let them know that goose season should be treated as a seperate season , it does not have to run concurant with duck season.
On a side note . Why do you feel the need for more "liberal limits " ? What seems to be the problem with 2 birds a day not being enough ?
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby fhhunter1 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:19 pm

The problem with the 2 bird limit is that you spend all the time and energy to scout, set up decoys, brush up the layouts, and then the first flock comes in and you're done for the day.

I also think that 2 bird limits don't do enough to manage the local populations. If we don't keep those in check, somebody will and that could mean euthanasia and other activities that do nothing but hurt waterfowl hunting.

The truth is that we don't kill very many migrators here in indiana so its the same population that we hunt in the early season as during the regular season but with limits that are designed to manage the populations of lessers and other migrating subspecies whoes populations aren't taking off like our resident populations.
fhhunter1
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:41 pm

I'll tell you up front that I am not a fan of increasing limits.
Larger limits serve to put more pressure on the birds and keep hunters in the field longer . To my way of thinking we are just now starting to get good huntable numbers of birds , by that I mean the average goose hunter can expect to kill birds on a regular basis if he puts in a little work. it's no longer a "we got lucky today" deal.
And , no we do not kill very many "migrators". We are killing someones else's resident birds that have moved because of lack of food .
So if it's felt that it's too much work to just kill 2 birds , what should the limit be ? 4 , maybe 6 ? Keep in mind that it will be die hard goose hunters , for the most part , that will be hunting a late season . and as such these guys will be killing a limit on a regular basis . I tend to think that we will run a real risk of reduceing the resident population and end up looseing days in the long run . I would rather have 90 days and 2 geese for many years than have 90 and 4 for a few and then go to 60 and 2 because the population has fallen .
Besides that , just how many birds can a person use ? I mean 90 days and 2 birds gives you 180 geese ( :yes: ).
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby mmalino » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:47 pm

theres geese in Indiana? where?
Team Rainmakers
"We supply eBay with the bands you buy"

Go White Sox!!...hell with baseball its football season
mmalino
hunter

Postby ddragon47 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:27 pm

Thats for die hard hunters the weekend hunter olny takes 48 in 90 days.
But I have to agree with Oldman1949 to leave the limited alone becuse the die hards will always be out getting thier limits and some off us can only do weekends so setting up for 2 birds is better then not getting any.

Ps. If their were Geese in Indiana
"I Didn't Come This Far To Miss!"
ddragon47
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:47 pm

Another thing to consider is getting the birds you kill out of the field . Many times you cannot drive in and out of a field . You do a 1/4 mile walk with gun and gear PLUS 60 pounds of dead geese(6 birds at 10 pounds each) across your back and you will wounder why you killed soo many .

Sad to say , but waterfowl hunting is fast becomeing a numbers game . It's no longer about how you got your birds it's about how many you got . And it doesn't matter how many birds you made smart in the process.
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby fhhunter1 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:11 pm

I am more than happy to haul my birds out. I am in total agreeance that educating birds is a dumb thing to do, especially in your own area and when we kill limits we haul ass out of the field to give ourselves a chance at another good day. But on the contrary if only the real diehards hunt in the late season with 5 bird limits (which is what I would suggest) it still probably won't hurt the population at all.

The problem we are facing now has nothing to do with harvesting too many birds. It has to do with not harvesting enough and leaving the excess to be dealt with by moron lakeowners who are in favor of mass killing of birds. If it came down to it I would rather we had a few years of awesome hunting to bring down pops than let the government gass all our geese. But the truth is, residents are indeterminate nesters and those numbers arent going down because of hunting pressure any time soon especially with as few good goose hunters we have in the state(in my opinion). There still is ALOT of work to be done to get a limit of 5 in february.

My point is, if we aren't doing something to bring down these pops who is???
fhhunter1
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting