Places to hunt in Indiana?

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: northzoneguy, nitrousneil, badbowtie

Places to hunt in Indiana?

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:00 am

Can anyone help me? Where are some good places for ducks?
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin

Re: Places to hunt in Indiana?

Postby SDMF » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:24 pm

where are you located?
Team Rasputin: NEVER SAY DIE
SDMF
hunter

Postby badbowtie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:34 am

badbowtie
State Moderator

Postby RevelationTravis » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:03 pm

I'll share three places that I've tried since I've moved to Indiana in 2008. This is entirely my opinion.

The first place, I tried was Chinook FWA. While it looked great when I scouted it, there was more muck than water, surprising amount of current, and not a duck to be seen. It also smelled just awful. Now I suppose the presence of muck so deep that you sink in past your knees and the sulfur smell could both be indicators of rich feeding grounds for ducks, but I wasn't sold. The lack of ducks may have been dumb luck (or bad luck rather), but the entire experience was probably the worst I've encountered yet. Maybe it's not right to judge a location based on one try, but I've moved on.

The second place I've tried was the Wabashiki FWA. This is located very close to Terre Haute. If you want to hunt that, I would scout it first. I tried going in winter 2013 and it was bone dry. But I did successfully bag two green winged teal there the previous year. While I found it to be a better experience than Chinook, the crow to duck ratio was terrible to say the least. I think the ducks were too busy getting fat in the city. Or maybe it was just another case of bad luck.

And then just yesterday I went and hunted Goose Pond for the first time. Now that was far the best place I've tried yet. The water was nice and clean and the decaying plant material and muck was about ankle deep, much easier to wade through than Chinook was. The ducks were every where. The first hour or so after sunrise it sounded like a war zone all around me. On the plus side, the ducks were plentiful. On the down side, so were other hunters. If you're looking to isolate yourself from other hunters, Goose Pond may not be for you. Personally, I don't really care. I took home 5 blue winged teal, by far the most successful hunt I've had since I moved here. And that's what I really care about - the thrill of the hunt and meat in my freezer.

So I'm sure I'll be returning to Goose Pond in the future, at least until I find something better.
RevelationTravis
hunter

Postby badbowtie » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:05 am

Goose Pond is always busy I was up there yesterday also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
badbowtie
State Moderator

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting