Bird Flu in Canadian Waterfowl???

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Bird Flu in Canadian Waterfowl???

Postby chrispbrown27 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:16 pm

I heard on the radio tonight that Canadian ducks had been found with bird flu. Now I had heard earlier in the day that some birds of some sort had been found to have it but they never specified what kind. Well, now that I have had a chance to do a search it seems it was pigeons not waterfowl. Why can these news agencies not check out their facts before they let this stuff go out to people?
Even though it is only pigeons, has this effected anyones plans for the season?
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:32 pm

not worried about it in the least.

bird flu in itself is rarely transmitted to humans. if it is..it is usually through some sort of direct contact with an infected bird (normally domestic fowl in processing areas) and has never been observed to jump from human to human.

lots of facts available out there for those that care to look into it. the CDC and WHO have tons of information.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:01 am

I am shooting ducks if I have to wear a Bio/Chem suit! Does anyone know if they make chem suites for XXL Labs?
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby Merganser » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:46 am

Just got back from Saskatchewan, Canada -hunted 5 days last week up there and killed limit of mallards every day. Also killed 3 or 4 Canada geese each day. Great trip, have not come down with the flu yet!
Merganser
hunter

Postby C_DUbb » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:24 pm

WIDGEONATOR wrote:I am shooting ducks if I have to wear a Bio/Chem suit! Does anyone know if they make chem suites for XXL Labs?

How about Camo?
Callem in your face close!!
And
Do em
UGLY!!!
C_DUbb
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:07 pm

Avian Influenza (AI) is a naturally occurring disease found in poultry. AI is not a new disease but has been occurring in wild and domestic birds for years. There are various strains of AI that occur and change over time similar to the strains of human flu. There are basically two forms of AI, low pathogenic avian influenza (LPAI) and high pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI), with various strain of each. The strain talked about most in the news recently is HPAI H5N1. "This strain has not been found in North America", states Scott Baker, Migratory Game Bird Program Leader. Baker goes on to say, "There have been only three HPAI outbreaks in the U.S. – in 1924, 1983 and 2004. No significant human illness occurred from these outbreaks."
HPAI H5N1 has only been found in Asian and European countries. In Asia there have been 61 deaths and 116 illnesses caused by this strain of AI. The majority of these cases were contracted by people who work in close proximity with domestic poultry, consume uncooked poultry, came into contact with the saliva, nasal discharge or feces of infected poultry. There is no record of the HPAI N5H1 strain being spread to humans from wild fowl, so hunters should not be concerned of being infected with AI while hunting ducks and geese.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Chem Suit

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:28 am

I see a new market. Camo biochem suits in Max-4. Last one to get a patent is a rotten egg or a chicken from china. :mrgreen:
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology