Millet in NC

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Millet in NC

Postby bang » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:22 am

Ok, i need the scoop on planting millet around a 3-4 acre beaver pond for ducks. Around the edges it's very moist and muddy, but there's no actual standing water for about another 20 feet. Can i hand broadcast millet and have it sprout WITHOUT flooding it? Also, if it's no more than 15-20 feet from the actual water's edge, will the ducks even bother to come up and feed on the mud for it? I don't have the means to flood it, and anyway the water in NC is almost always higher in the winter. Any tips would be great. Thanks.
bang
hunter

Re: Millet in NC

Postby C-Hawk19 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:30 pm

millet will definetely grow without being flooded but i'm not real sure if the ducks would leave the water 2 eat i think they would since they will light in fields to eat. but if the water rises on it in the winter that will be better. i have found that jap millet is real good in wet areas sometimes it will even grow in shallow standing water and makes seed in around 45 days. things like browntop or proso millet work better on dry ground i have used both for dove fields it does take longer to make seed however. hope this helps.
You know your hunting in South Carolina when a bunch of ducks fly in and you shot both of them!!
C-Hawk19
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology