Tubers

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Tubers

Postby mgardner » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:49 pm

So far, it's been a great season for me this year with this week left in the season. My main hunting spot however has just been awful, no where near the amount of ducks that it usually holds. I recently saw online where you can buy water celery tubers for planting in water without having to drain the pond all together.

Wondering if water celery was a worthwhile food source for ducks and how well it will grow without really giving a lot of time to it. I hate to shell out the couple hundred bucks for the tubers and spend the extra time putting them out if they're just going to be another pain in the tail.

Thanks for the advice in advance
mgardner
hunter

Re: Tubers

Postby clemaire2 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:52 pm

water celery ducks will eat no dought but it is not there first go to food source around here but it will grow with no mantinance if the water is clear and not to deep sun light has to reach the bottom
clemaire2
hunter

Postby mgardner » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:59 pm

Thanks for the info Clemaire
mgardner
hunter

Postby pkester » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:20 pm

Water Celery is a good duck food. Does like movement of water, does not grow well in stagnant water. In Wisconsin the ducks eat both the tubers and the seed. Another possibility would be Sago Pondweed.
pkester
Newb

Return to Conservation/Biology