Flooding depths for corn, milo, millet?

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Flooding depths for corn, milo, millet?

Postby mack. » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:27 pm

I am planning on planting a couple different units and can control the water, but I have some questions that I would appreciate a little advice with. Is it important that corn should be flooded up to the ears to really attract ducks? The same goes for milo, does the water level really need to be 3-4 feet? Should areas that can only hold 4-12 inches be planted with different types of millets instead of corn or milo?

Thanks for the help.
mack.
Newb

Re: Flooding depths for corn, milo, millet?

Postby clemaire2 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:13 pm

whats good about corn and milo it is on hardy stalks it will stad trough the season and where i am we will knock it down as needed thats for corn. milo will drop seeds on it own it realy seams to work the best and on millit it makes alot of seed and when you flood it it will all lay down to the water ao when the ducks get in it they can eat it all out
clemaire2
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:17 pm

Most of the impoundments I do and have hunted are flooded to around 24"-30" at the most (knee to mid thigh deep) regardless of the grain planted in them. That said I have shot some with only 12" of water with very good results. Birds will get to the grain once they are in the fields so there's really no need to flood corn to the ear...they will grab and either pull over or break off the ears or the tops of millet/milo.

Obviously with millet being a shorter stalk you can get away with less water and it is a good idea to have some "cover" above the waterline so the birds feel safer when feeding as they can hide in the tops.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby suzuki123 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:59 pm

Now im not an expert on anything but i did a job for a wetland biologist and every minute i had to talk to him i picked his brain about what to plant what do they eat the most etc. And he told me that duck only eat corn usually two weeks out of the year. he said corn was a high energy food for ducks and not nutrional, he said millet and smart weed where a good thing to plant. he said smart weed usually germinates in mid october and ducks will eat the roots and seeds. millet i believe said came a little after the smart weed. he said to keep water levels low, oh and he also said whether a duck uses your duck hole compared to another duck hole could come down to how you disced your field, planted your crop and most importantly whats in your soil for the duck to pick on. Now i was totaly committed to the theory plant corn and flood it they will come but this kinda made that a false statement for me. but what do i know im a hillbilly :lol3: hope this helped
suzuki123
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology