Creating a waterfowl habitat

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Creating a waterfowl habitat

Postby hunter2005 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:56 pm

I mostly deer hunt but would like to start getting into duck hunting. I have several large ponds on my hunting lease in oklahoma. I see ducks and geese flying around sometimes but they never stop at my ponds. What are some things i can do to create a duck habitat that will get the ducks to fly in??? Should I plant some things etc..
Thank for the help
hunter2005
Newb

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:16 pm

If you are not hunting you can throw grain or feed out. Try throwing a few deeks out and see if that brings in some birds.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:56 pm

If the ponds hold water all year I would suggest arrow arrum, wild celery and sago tubers. If it is dry during the summer you could try some wild rice and millet.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby hankrt » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:08 pm

My Brother in law who lives just east of Lawton jump shoots the local ponds all the time and does fairly well. He says to put out a few decs and wait for them to come in to feed or roost for the night. He also said that the hunting gets much better later in the season when the flight birds arrive.
hankrt
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:04 pm

Welcom hunter2005! Youll really like the forums here and i hope you have a great season! Where in OK are you located? I live in Edmond.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby vikingsfan » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:04 pm

also where is your hunting lease located at? :withstupid:
vikingsfan
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:27 pm

I'd suggest contacting your state G&F dept and ask questions. They may even come out and evaluate the ponds as to what would be best thing to do to attract ducks. Often the food is planted in the spring time, so now is a great time to contact them and prepare. :thumbsup:

Oh and :welcome: to DHC :thumbsup:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby hunter2005 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:06 pm

I live in midwest city. My lease is in the Luther-Jones area, are there any good duck hunting public places in oklahoma. I recently started getting into bird hunting so im pretty new at everything.
hunter2005
Newb

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:39 pm

Lake thunderbird can be pretty decent. What i dont like about other lakes in OK is that they have drawings for blinds on the lake and you cant hunt anywhere else. You pay to enter the drawing and if you get one the blind is yours for the season. If not you get your money back.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby BustTheHellOutSomeDucks » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:15 am

i live in norman and i hunt lake thunderbird quite a bit and its never been a boring hunt
BustTheHellOutSomeDucks
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology