tires, lots of them

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

tires, lots of them

Postby Cashman » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:03 pm

I am in the process of crushing the rims out of a large pile of tires for a guy, and I'm wondering what else I could do with the rubber parts besides a landfill. Any ideas? I have heard of a cement company that burns them for fuel, but I can't seem to find out any details on that. I think somebody on here might have an idea or two
Some things are like wiping before pooping, they just don't make any sense.
Cashman
hunter

Re: tires, lots of them

Postby mcclinj » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:59 pm

Maybe mounted on a pallet style base, might work as a nesting structure. Just an Idea?

-John
mcclinj
hunter

Postby deathranger333 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:42 am

The landfill near my house has mulched them and placed them around trees. The landfill is a WASTE MANAGEMENT" landfill.
"I guarantee zero. Anything after that is a bonus." Jimbo from RNT
deathranger333
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:25 pm

if you have a river nearby they do a good job of preventing bank erosion and adding structure.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby carsonr2 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:26 am

aggiechiro wrote:if you have a river nearby they do a good job of preventing bank erosion and adding structure.

Be sure to check with whomever has jurisdiction over a water body before you do this. You could get in a lot of trouble for putting tires in a river, as it could constitute dumping. Most shoreline stabilization work requires permits from your State's version of a Division of Water Quality and/or the Army Corps.
Vegetarian = Old Indian Saying "Not Good Hunter"
carsonr2
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:54 am

Heed Carsonr2's advice. There is a fine line between habitat enhancement and illegal dumping. Anything you do off your own property will require permission and cooperation from the land owners or managers. Tires have been used to create offshore artificial reefs in my area, but it is conducted by state or federal environmental organizations, and they are very particular about the cleaning method and placement of the materials used.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby TCFarmer » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:19 pm

Try a dairy, they probably use tires to hold down the plastic on their silage pits
TCFarmer
hunter

Postby cshunter » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:52 pm

if you have a road race track in the area you could check with them. i know the track out here loves tires for barriers
cshunter
hunter

Postby SQUAWKnemi » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:19 am

Make some fillers for snow decoys if they are in one piece... I hunted with a guide once and he cut them in four pieces and painted them white to use a fillers than again he had about 700 other decoys
Some QUack And We Kill
SQUAWKnemi
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:18 pm

bass pond structure... You could shred them and build a track. get some third world kids, shred them(the tires not the kids) and make some shoes. put cats in them and roll them down a hill. burn them and speed up global warming. you could make a sweet obstacle course with a really long tire run. Breed mosquitoes.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology