DU or Delta

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

If you were a poor college student with just enough money to support one of these conservation organizations which one would you choose?

Ducks Unlimited
66%
Delta Waterfowl
28%
Other
7%

Total votes : 58

DU or Delta

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:49 am

Please tell me which one you would support and why. I am leaning toward Delta because I like the predator control issue. I can only scrape together enough money to support one since I am on a relatively tight budget. I want to do my part to help save our sport. Please don't bash either group, just tell me which one and why.

Thanks,
Matt
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 am

That is like asking a Dad to choose which son should live....

If there was a choice for both I would vote, being none-I'll refrain from voting.

This is my thoughts on them. I have served in both as a committee man. DU has started to court $ from non hunters the last 10 years and as a result many hunters are not happy about that becuase DU is playing down the hunting part to these nonhunters to get big $ On the other hand they do great habitat work, etc.. DW has come right out and said--we support hunting as way to manage the waterfowl as the hunters are the backbone of the conservation efforts. And DW is more scientifically inclined too. Heck DW is actually been around longer than DU has been. All I know is that if neither of them were around, the dipletion of habitat and environmnet would be a LOT worse than it currently is.

Both do great work IMHO. I am a member of both and also DU CA and the MWA my states' waterfowl Org too. :thumbsup:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DuckPlayer » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:31 pm

I chose other because I like to see the results of my money there isn't anything wrong with DU or Delta I've been a member of both , but I would rather put my money into a local place or do my own part with sweat and muscle in the off season then I know it's being done and not just in the heavy populated city areas but where I live, hunt, fish, etc. I can honestly say I can think of one good project I've seen on any public lands within 30 miles of where I live supported by either group not including political BS.
Some days you do everything right and don,t bag a thing , Some days you do everything wrong and still get LUCKY !!!
DuckPlayer
Pro Hunter

Postby whislewing » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:51 pm

I'm a poor college kid and i give my 35 dollars a year to DU, I don't really know much about delta, thier not very prominent in michigan for what i've seen.
10 o clock tree line
whislewing
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:24 pm

i dont think you can go wrong with either.i would say du. but i am a member of both.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby greenheader » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:06 pm

DU has put in an electronic fish dam to keep out all the ruff fish out of a lake by me so there is alot better growth of vegetation in the lake and are lowering the water level in another lake to get rid of the ruff fish and get better growth and then raise the water level again.
greenheader
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:19 pm

I know DU had some land about 28 miles west of here and they sold it recently. I don't know why they would sell it. I haven't see much DU land around here. So I think I would have to go with Delta, but I am a member of Pheasants Forever that is a good organization.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:47 pm

I voted other because I like them equally the same. DU in cooperation with the TWRA and a few others have done an outstanding job on the refuge about 10 minutes from my house. I went out there today and saw about 1000 mallards & gadwalls and those numbers will rise. Went one day last year and there were about 15,000. The crops and water are mangaged very well for the ducks. I also support DW because I like their predator management and stuff like hen houses. I think without them, our waterfowl hunting future wouldn't look too bright.
quackkiller
hunter

DDUW

Postby gracenjohn » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:54 pm

Delta Ducks Unlimited Waterfowl gets my vote.

Seriously Matt, they have such an ability to work in concert with each other that is just about tragic in my opinion how much they bicker.

What should be a symbiotic relationship turns into a urination match.

If I had to, I'd pick DU. With out the land, there would be no place to put the hen houses or for the predators to control.

john
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
hunter

delta or Du

Postby Dunk221999 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:38 pm

They are organizations that do great things for ducks. The difference between the two is that, delta is figuring out the scientific ways that we can better our duck populations, such as CRP grasslands, Predator management, the hen house program ect. While D.U. does a tremendous job in creating waterfowl habitat by damning waterways and restoring wetlands. I think both of these groups are very benificial to our waterfowl populations, although I would have to say that I like delta a little bit better because they arn't as big of a corporate immage and seem to care about the ducks.
Dunk221999
hunter

Postby DU230 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:21 pm

Ducks Unlimited absolutely.

DU has over 11 million acres of habitat that benifit ducks, which in turn, benifits duck hunters. They do this on an remarkable plan of 80 cents on every dollar donated goes directly to their consevation project.

They also have some of the top biologists doing extensive studies and research on countless different projects such as CRP, WRP, and the financial innefficiency of predator control (though it is a great idea in theory). (e-mail me to expand on the positives and negatives of predator control)

Another very important reason to support DU is on issues of the major bills congress passes that directly impacts ducks such as the very important one right now the clean water act. DU has more pull in Washington than any other waterfowl conservation group.

One other supporting factor for DU is how it supports duck hunters directly. Last year for instance, in Minnesota the state gov't was trying to close public hunting access area. DU was one of the most prominant organization fighting this and did with success.
"The more habitat on the ground, the more birds in the skies." Ducks Unlimited
DU230
Newb

Delta

Postby Predator » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:56 am

That quote does have some truth, but if you truly want to boost duck populations the predators need to be managed – plain and simple. The research Delta has completed on controlled/uncontrolled sites has some validity to this too. I would encourage you to visit Delta’s website: www.deltawaterfowl.org

Oh, I am a member of both Delta and DU.
Predator
Newb

Postby DU230 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:01 am

I absolutely agree that controlling predators does increase duck production. The facts are that it is an innefficient practice, both financially and in time spent.

Predators reproduce, that's obvious. Therefore, you must control their population every year. To simply keep predator numbers under control, 70% of their population must be taken out each year. Another very important fact is that 50% of waterfowl predators are avian; mostly raptors that are protected by law. The last very important reason that habitat conservation makes more sense is that when money is raised for conservation, the government at least doubles the money and is then put into conservation. Money raised for predator control does not have that benefit. Finally, the amount of area conserved for waterfowl habitat will produce more ducks than predator control can save while benefiting all other species that benefit from the habitat, including humans.
DU230
Newb

Delta

Postby Predator » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:18 am

Financially possible? Yes, this can be... But the facts are this will raise ducks and habitat alone will not. This where Delta and DU are different, but that's a good thing. If we all supported the same org. then we would be in a world of hurt during spring/fall migrations. "If the eggs don't hatch, then the ducks don't fly..." R.O.

Check this link out:

http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/pr/2004/0 ... edator.php

I think what's interesting is that many of the DU and USFWS biologist's came from Delta. This is a great resource/research for all involved in the waterfowl world...
Predator
Newb

Postby tstrong » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:10 pm

If only one I'd go with DU. :thumbsup:
tstrong
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:54 pm

DU here as well.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dogman » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:22 pm

I am a supporter of both and I too find it annoying that there is arguements about and between the two.Delta does what it does and should keep on doing it and DU does what it does and should also keep on doing it.
Delta's decision to promote predator control is Delta's choice and they should proceed without complaining about DU not going along.
DU should continue on wetlands projects.
Both orgs can do more by wasting less on trying to one up each other in policy sniping.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby WaterfowlWidowmaker » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:40 pm

I had to go with Delta. My local chapter has their local chapter banquet every year. It used to be a fun family event and lately its gotten out of hand. Lots of drinking, cussing, drawing for beer and giving away tobacco to anyone who wants it...(guess what age of society ends up with it) and it is definately not family oriented anymore. Although, there were some people on the DU board that felt the same way I do and left DU and started a DW Chapter. DW is now run by great Christian people who love the sport of duck hunting and also their families. They get lots of old DU sponsors who were fed up with the chapter and is now thriving in their conservation efforts.
If it flies it dies.
WaterfowlWidowmaker
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:55 pm

DU was founded by duck hunters, and now consists of 90% Duck hunters. DU all the way--Cheers to Delts Waterfowl though, good cause. If I were a Starving student and my wife wasn't an accountant I would try to work for DU!
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:09 am

whislewing wrote:I'm a poor college kid and i give my 35 dollars a year to DU, I don't really know much about delta

:withstupid:

I dont know much about them either :oops:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:47 pm

DU for me just because around here they have done a lot . They both have there positive aspects but with out DU we would have very few places to hunt around my parts. I also like the fact that DU pull in the government to help improve on everybody's hunting through the laws.
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:24 pm

we need them both
delta take care of the short term with predtor control
DU takes care of the long term with habitat conservation
both are great :thumbsup:
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:12 pm

I choose both for many reasons

Delta is purely 100% duck hunters, all this origination does is duck hunting related. There goal is to increase the population of the ducks it self. Way of doing this is improving breeding grounds, hen houses, and extensive predator control.

Ducks unlimited is origination heading toward improving wetlands, and over all areas of land that need repair or management,

So I say support them both as well as the NRA
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Conservation/Biology