Question Re: Smartweed

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Question Re: Smartweed

Postby thecovey » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:27 am

We've got a wetland area where natural smartweed grows over six feet tall during the summer. As you can imagine, this makes wading a real bear in the winter because the dense smartweed gets matted down after the first freeze. The matted smartweed also prevents any open water areas for landing ducks, unless we get a lot of winter rains to bring water levels very high.

Right now the wetland area is bone dry and I can drive a tractor through it. So, my question is do any of y'all bushhog the smartweed down after it has seeded out to ease wading and to create open landing areas? I understand bushhogging smartweed is legal because as long as it's naturally regenerating, but I don't want to hurt the duck hunting either.
thecovey
hunter

Re: Question Re: Smartweed

Postby Calibogue » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:55 am

Bushogg it or burn it!
Calibogue
hunter

Postby joshco84 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:25 pm

I would just mow a good size hole in the middle of it for a good sized hunting pool. We have a public marsh we hunt that they manage this way and its awesome. Its nice to be able to sit down in a regular lawn chair and have the smart weed at eye level!
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby thecovey » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:01 am

Well, I finally managed to bush hog a few landing holes in the smartweed. I like the lawn chair idea...I think I'll spray pain a lawn chair and put it in an uncut area.

It's amazing how much seed this "weed" releases onto the floor boards of the tractor when driving through it. It's no wonder why the ducks love it.

Do y'all see more ducks feeding in bush hogged or uncut smartweed? I ask because it seems like it'd be tough to get those small seeds from the mudd rather than from the plant itself.
thecovey
hunter

Postby NV Guide » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:34 pm

I manage this same problem for a local Hunting club. We use a Lawson Aerator and create a mosaic pattern in all ponds. Its not just the seeds they create but mashing the plants makes the perfect habitat for invertibrates. We use it on all plants even cattail.
Dennis

What part of "shall not be infringed" dont you understand?
NV Guide
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Conservation/Biology