NEED HELP !! Salt Marsh

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

NEED HELP !! Salt Marsh

Postby JoeP » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:58 pm

Hey Guys, I need guidance. I live in Gloucester Ma. I found a few acres of salt marsh that a guy is willing to sell. It is in the Essex river. The Essex river at one time held many duck camps that would sit on pilings located on the marsh. This property I am looking at at one time held a beautiful camp that got wiped out the the blizzard of 78. Since then it has never been rebuilt. The pilings are still there, but they definately need to be replaced. The town of Essex has a tough conservation group that doesnt want camps being built on the marsh anymore. depending on how you look at it, being tough can be a good thing. If they were not many people could spend cheap money and have a place to go out and party, play loud music, make the marsh a dump, etc. However I am not one of those people.

I am sure that some of you have had similar hurdles to jump and I am asking for some input on how to approach the towns conservation commity to allow me to rebuild what was once there. I also tried to get in
touch with Ducks Unlimited to speak with one of there Biologist to see if there is any thing that can be planted in salt marsh to attract ducks. Does wild rice, or celery survive in salt marsh? I have called them a few times and haven't had a returned phone call yet. The Essex river holds good numbers of Black Ducks. Even though the Black Duck is now stable, the numbers are much lower than years ago. I was hoping that if DU or any related group could send me a letter, and also provide guidance, it may be presented to the conservation commity to show them I am trying to do a good thing. As hunter you also need to be a conservationalist. Us Hunters as a group have a large impact on why some duck species are much lower than in past years and it is up to us to help out which many of us do.

Sorry for making this so long. There is much more to say but hopefully
with some input and guidance from you guys it will be a little easier to get this done. Thanks

JoeP
JoeP
State Moderator

Postby Dogman » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:30 pm

Just how many acres are you dealing with by the way?
You may need permission from the Army Corp of Engineers if you plan on building anything on a wet land.I had to go through the permiting process on my property once and it was no picnic.
If it falls together it sounds like it could be quite a set up eventually.
Keep us posted,pm me if you have any more questions or info.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby flytackle » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:35 am

Joe - I've seen some very fancy "floating blinds" that aren't permanent structures and may allow you to bypass a difficult permit process. Perhaps tethered right up to the old pilings you could have a floating duck camp! Alec
flytackle
Membership permanently suspended

Planting

Postby keegan511 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:17 am

As far as planting is concerned, first and for most is the wetland influenced by tides and what is the salinity like of the water? Let me know and I will come up with a list of species suitable for the area. Any luck with the book I recommended? Take care

Dan
Take a man duck hunting and he will eat for a day; Teach a man how to duck hunt, HIS WIFE WILL HATE YOU.
keegan511
hunter

Postby Swamprat » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:20 am

Please drop me a private message if you never, ever heard back from your local DU biologist. There have been several staff changes up there, including (I believe) the biologist.

You will definitely need (at least) a Federal "Nationwide Permit" for authorizing impacts to wetlands, from the Corps of Engineers. I would also count on needing local and state approval. Mostly, these will cost you time and patience, but not money (if truly, you are replacing a structure/berm/etc that was already there.
Swamprat
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology