Creating a Duck Haven

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Creating a Duck Haven

Postby KlrLab6 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:12 am

So i have this pond that's about 3 football fields in size. Its surrounded by timber on half of it and then the other half is just natural grass. I hae seen geese pile in on this thing and have been told some ducks use it. The pond itself is part of a half section farm that is primarily a large crop field so there is feed in the area. I was curious if there is anything i could do to make birds frequently use this spot. Should i burn the grass around the pond and plant some sort of feed? Should i plant feed around the shore? I really have no idea how to do this and am trying to research it. Im a college senior and this is on my grandparents land. The farm itself is about 15 mi NW of Tuttle Creek Reservoir which is where i have been doing most of my public duck hunting. Suggestions?
KlrLab6
hunter

Re: Creating a Duck Haven

Postby EastSacStrangler » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:43 pm

I have been thinking of doing the same thing on a piece of property I lease in California. Iv'e been reading up on "Guide Choice" Duck Plot food and thinking of trying this out before next season. According to it's claims it grows well in various amounts of moisture. I'm going to try and spread it throughout the area in clump patterns and see which areas grow better, the ones that stay moist all year or the seasonal areas. I would just research as much as you can as I have been doing. If you have water all year round put up some Mallard tubes for mating season...Good Luck. If you find anything that work let me know and I'll do the same.
EastSacStrangler
hunter

Postby SALLY » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:59 am

This what I did last year . I had a dozer make a shallow end on my tank than I planted millet , rice , and smartweed . I threw out some old deks and never saw a duck this year on it. I hunted less than a mile away on several places and shot limits . Figure that out
SALLY
hunter

Postby carsonr2 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:59 pm

SALLY wrote:This what I did last year . I had a dozer make a shallow end on my tank than I planted millet , rice , and smartweed . I threw out some old deks and never saw a duck this year on it. I hunted less than a mile away on several places and shot limits . Figure that out

I hunted with a buddy a few weeks back on an impoundment that he had created about 3 years ago. This impoundment is located next to one of if not the largest waterfowl refuge in all of NC. The immediate area has hundreds of impoundments, and likewise thousands of ducks and other waterfowl.

He said that this year they are finally seeing very good results in his impoundment. His thought was that it took the ducks a few years to locate his particular impoundment and begin to use it with frequency.

So IMO, I wouldn't be discouraged that the habitat that you created last year didn't provide the expected results. I would continue with trying to manage your pond and just give it some time. If you can make some nesting boxes for wood ducks and/or nesting tubes for mallards to try and entice some local ducks to breed on your pond. This may help to draw in greater numbers in the future.
Vegetarian = Old Indian Saying "Not Good Hunter"
carsonr2
hunter

Postby duckbio » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:15 pm

KlrLab6 wrote:So i have this pond that's about 3 football fields in size. Its surrounded by timber on half of it and then the other half is just natural grass. I hae seen geese pile in on this thing and have been told some ducks use it. The pond itself is part of a half section farm that is primarily a large crop field so there is feed in the area. I was curious if there is anything i could do to make birds frequently use this spot. Should i burn the grass around the pond and plant some sort of feed? Should i plant feed around the shore? I really have no idea how to do this and am trying to research it. Im a college senior and this is on my grandparents land. The farm itself is about 15 mi NW of Tuttle Creek Reservoir which is where i have been doing most of my public duck hunting. Suggestions?

I have all kinds of suggestions. Habitat improvement/manipulation is what I do. If your interested, shoot me a PM.

SALLY wrote:This what I did last year . I had a dozer make a shallow end on my tank than I planted millet , rice , and smartweed . I threw out some old deks and never saw a duck this year on it. I hunted less than a mile away on several places and shot limits . Figure that out

My thoughts on this would be the ducks don't know it is there. Of course, if you have seen ducks on it in the past, before the work started, then who knows. My suggestion would be to keep the water in it through the spring migration so maybe ducks passing by on the way north might stop on it to rest. It amazes me how much this helps the areas I work on attract ducks for the fall. If they find it in the spring, they will "remember" the location and fly through looking for it on the way south to the wintering grounds.
"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but political correctness is killing me."
duckbio
hunter

Postby SALLY » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:16 pm

Take in mind guys I live in Central Texas . Part of the problem was low water at the beginning but its up to the food now . We'll see . I am taking bids on building another pond on the other end of my place this year.
SALLY
hunter

Postby bubba06 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:19 pm

I tried this for the first time this year by planting 3 acres of Jap. Millet. The geese completely wiped it out before duck season came in. I am looking to plant a little bit earlier this year to shoot some geese in the resident September season. I am also looking at maybe adding some smartweed. Does anyone know where I can order smartweed? I can't seem to find much online.
bubba06
hunter

Postby duckbio » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Being in Virginia, you might be able to grow Smartweed without seeding it. It might be in the seedbank in the soil. Could be a cheaper option. With the geese problem, were they eating it when it was still green and coming up, or did they eat all the seed off of the seed heads? Usually what helps with them eating it while it is green would be to spread manure over it.
"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but political correctness is killing me."
duckbio
hunter

Postby SALLY » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:56 am

Try Tunner Seed thats where I got mine
SALLY
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology