Hey DuckBio...

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Hey DuckBio...

Postby FITZH2O » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:00 pm

What do ducks eat in salt water? Are they eating veg or mullosks/invertabrates? Is there something you can plant? How about brackish water plants? Just curious...
FITZ

"COMMON SENSE IS AN UNCOMMON VIRTUE"

VEG*NHIPPIE Wrote - I'm from the UK, and it's not an issue here

UNDERRADAR REPLIED - Hey, good to know that. Coming up on July 4, we have a celebration. You know of it?
FITZH2O
hunter

Re: Hey DuckBio...

Postby duckbio » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:48 pm

FITZH2O wrote:What do ducks eat in salt water? Are they eating veg or mullosks/invertabrates? Is there something you can plant? How about brackish water plants? Just curious...

Depends on the duck. But yes, most Sea ducks (Long-Tail, Scoter, Eider) are eating bivalves, invertebrates, and crustaceans. Divers have a similar diet in salt water. Puddlers are a little bit more restricted to the coastal areas because of the way they feed, but will eat the same foods plus aquatic vegetation. What you run into with trying to plant anything in a brackish environment is the salinity of the soil and water. One of the best foods in such an environment is Widgeon Grass. And yes, Widgeon along with other puddlers eat it regularly when it is available. You can propagate the grass, but I would be concerned with its ability to take over any small body of water or area where there is no current. Other plants that can tolerate high salinity are Turtle weed (Batis maritima), Inland Saltgrass (Distichlis spicata ) and Needlegrass Rush (Juncus roemerianus ) these would probably be your best bet if you have an area that you can only flood with saline water because they have a high saline tolerance. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but political correctness is killing me."
duckbio
hunter

Re: Hey DuckBio...

Postby FITZH2O » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:53 am

Sorry for being vague. I was talking about saltwater marsh and coastal rivers, pretty good flow with the tides and what not. I knew the divers on the river where eating small clams, but there is almost no plant life to speak of, so the only puddlers are in the swamps. I see some puddlers(teal, mallards, and canadas) in the marshes but I wasnt sure what if anything they were eating. Me and some of my buddies where looking into ways to improve habitat. The local GW said there was a sewage spill from a hog farm in the early 1900's and the rivers plant life never recovered. Dont know if thats the truth though. Thanks for the advise. I'll look into widgeon grass and see if its gonna be doable with our budget/ enviroment.
FITZ

"COMMON SENSE IS AN UNCOMMON VIRTUE"

VEG*NHIPPIE Wrote - I'm from the UK, and it's not an issue here

UNDERRADAR REPLIED - Hey, good to know that. Coming up on July 4, we have a celebration. You know of it?
FITZH2O
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology