Smart Draining

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Smart Draining

Postby CrackerJackShot » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:44 pm

Ok the season is fixing to come to a close, and we are going to start looking into draining our duck marsh. We have heard that we need to just sit back and let the natural vegitation grow in there after a couple years. But we've also heard that when we're draining it we should drain it a little then let it stop, and that will let the really shallow seeded plants set in and start to grow on the bank, then after a little bit, drain it a lil more and let more plants get a chance to grow and so on until its dry. What do yall think on this?!! I threw out smart weed into the water a couple months ago. Do you think that has any chance of growing?! I would appreciate any feedback. Thanx
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:15 am

i have always heard that if u drain your pond or whatever water area you have that it promotes growth of natural vegeation that is beneficial to the ducks and that they like... we have an irrigation pond that usually dries up most of the way every year and that seems to cause alot of plants to grow that the ducks like
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology